We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

MoffatBchQld
Level Contributor
24 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

We are staying in Diamond Head and hoping to find some great Mexican Food......and a good coffee/cafe place. Cheers

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

I've yet to discover what I would call great Mexican food in Hawaii. There are some places but nothing I would call great. Check out the Honolulu Coffee Company inside the Moana Surfrider Hotel for your coffee. Starbucks are also everywhere.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

I have had Mexican food several times. But it was far from "great".

NSW
Level Contributor
406 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

I am a fan of food trucks and have found recommendations for Baja Style food truck at ING Direct Cafe on Tuesdays (10 a.m. to 2 p.m.) and Fridays (10 a.m. to 4 p.m.), 1958 Kalakaua Ave., parking entrance off Pau St. Here is a link to an article.

honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/…

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,218 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

Sigh! You'll find plenty of fish tacos and light Mexican appetizers at a variety of restaurants .... but a good, actual, Mexican restaurant? Can't help you.

You are staying IN Diamond Head? Hmmm... interesting? More info please? The Diamond Head end of Waikiki? A B&B in the Diamond Head area ... a condo on the beach at Diamond Head?

On Waikiki - I agree with MsFuzz ... Honolulu Coffee at the Moana Surfrider takes top honors. And their macaroons are to die for!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

I found the food at La Cucaracha enjoyable and although many reviews say it's expensive, it was 50% cheaper than anything that's called "Mexican" near where I live in Oz. Some would say that it's not the best Mexican feed in Waikiki, but then I'm no Mexican so what would I know?

Although not a Mexican restaurant, I can highly recommend sitting at the Shorebirds bar at The Reef" and scoffing into a serving of nachos with optional pulled pork. It's a good feed for two people, under $15 and when you couple it with a few $3.50 "happy hour" maitais, you're living like kings. Nope, better. Who'd want the be stuck in a cold castle drinking warm beer and suffering pommy weather?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,430 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k481837…

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

I ate at Cha Cha Cha and thought it was pretty good. I had fish tacos.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,200 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

I guess it depends what you're used to and what you can get at home... La Cucaracha is where I've eaten (twice actually, once at each location). The food was average, but I'm in Seattle and spend time in Mexico so probably I'm spoiled I admit :) I go with Hawaiian, Asian, seafood, even Italian wehn I'm in Waikiki instead.

suze

Angleton, Texas
Level Contributor
1,375 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

NO such animal that I've ever found over 20 years of going to the islands

Goose Creek, SC
Level Contributor
121 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Looking for great Mexican Food in Honolulu? any suggestions

Great Mexican doesn't exist on Oahu. Cholo's on the North Shore isn't bad, but it's not great.