We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
minneapolis
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

We are hoping to travel to Honolulu/Waikiki beach for our spring break Mar 6-13 -- any recommendations on where to stay with children 11 (Boy) and 13 (girl).

Thanks!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Well...do you want a hotel or condo? Price range (per night)?

More details will help!

If you want a hotel, the Embassy Suites might be a good option. A block off the beach, but an all-suite hotel so you have two rooms.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

We were thinking hotel and would like direct access to the beach. We are open on price -- have been looking at the Outrigger Waikiki and the Royal Hawaiian and Surfrider. Seeing mixed reviews on all of them, some love some not so much.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,598 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

yavo - I have stayed at all 3 and you can not go wrong with any of them. I would only stay in a tower room in the Moana, not in the Banyan or Diamond wings. Those rooms are too small and have noise problems and even some odor problems in the Diamond Wing.

We took our kids at that age (2 girls 2 years apart) and stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki. Best deal for the money and absolutely the prime location and center of Waikiki Beach. Everything is there and it's a nice hotel.

Rooms were just remodeled as was the pool.

Look at my pics on here and you will get an idea of the views of a city view (cheapest room) on the Diamond Head side. It's all we stay in anymore and we love it.

Hope you have a great trip.

Aloha

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Those are all great properties. Don't take negative reviews about them too seriously.

Royal Hawaiian is most luxurious, but has the smallest pool. (It shares a pool with Sheraton, too, but I can't recall if it's the kids' pool or the adults-only pool).

Moana Surfrider is also luxurious and in a wonderful location, but you definitely listen to Placebets' advice on room selection.

Outrigger Waikiki is a more affordable but still very nice alternative right next to Moana Surfrider. Not as luxurious as the other two, with a lot less open space. But it's a very good choice for anyone who doesn't want to spend quite so much at Moana or Royal Hawaiian.

All three are in a fantastic area. And, again, they're all pretty wonderful in their own way.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Sheraton shares their kids pool with the Royal Hawaiian.

minneapolis
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!

Are we making the right choice to go to Waikiki versus Maui?

minneapolis
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Thanks everyone, appreciate the help!

Are we making the right choice to go to Waikiki versus Maui?

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,598 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Well, that's gonna be a tough one.

My girls went to Maui and Kauai once in addition to Oahu. After those trips, they never wanted to go back to anywhere else but Oahu.

Now the are girls, and shopping is a big deal for them. And they met so many kids from all over the world and ended up making lots of friends to pal around with.

So convenient being right out the back door to the beach, and right out the front door to the shopping. Never had to get in the car and drive somewhere to do almost anything they wanted.

I just know if it was my kids, they would go back to Oahu in a heartbeat.

So, good luck figuring that one out !! LOL

Aloha

BTW, if the boy was a little older, I could answer that one for you too !!! LOL

Edited: 30 January 2013, 03:30
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,457 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

Have you read the top right topic about the different islands? It will help to explain the islands more. Waikiki, I have never stayed, just seen...big city of Honolulu, lots of resorts/hotels, restaurants etc in walking or busing distance. Don't need a car. Have lots of history with Pearl Harbor etc. man suggest getting a car for at least a day to see other parts of the island.

Maui has a few bigger "towns" or resort areas...nothing like Honolulu though. Do need a car to get around and see things. If you change your mind, look to reserving car immediately because they can sell out at busier times. I will be binging my kids to Maui for the 4th time this March. We like to go to quiet, off the beaten path places though. They love Maui and Kauai.

Only you can decide what kind of experience you want and what you want to see. Every island has people who love that island best. Don't think you can go wrong as long as you choose what your family likes. Some people think Kauai is too quiet, some people think Oahu is too busy. What do you like?

Edited: 30 January 2013, 03:34
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
747 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Accomodations for Family of 4 with 11 and 13 year olds

We`ve been to Maui and Oahu, and my girls in their tweens and teens love both - so I guess I`m not much help to you there. They love Maui for the snorkelling adventures and the less commercial, busyness of the island, compared to Oahu. Conversely, they love Oahu because they are girls and they love to shop. Oahu has some really good shopping.

I just think that if you pick a resort that appeals to families of teens and tweens, they would love it, no matter which island. They`ll gravitate to the other kids there and have a great time hanging out together.