We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

I will be returning to Waikiki again this year. I was going w/ my cousins and that did not pan out so, I am treating my 72yr old aunt to a 7 night vacation. We will be arriving in Waikiki in May.

She definitely enjoys music, people watching, and relaxing. While discussing the ambiance that she would enjoy, I discovered that she would like to be in a lively area. So, I am trying to finalize a hotel.

I initially considered the Park Shore due to the new renovations and the reasonable price. Do you think that would be a little far from the action (street performers, music, etc)? I have started to consider the Outrigger Waikiki since it will be her first time there and it is on the beach. Also thinking about the Hyatt Regency since it is close to the action as well. Input please.

I would like a fun hotel and outside noise is not an issue.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,932 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

We really can't help you much without an idea of you nightly accomodations budget.

I would consider the Hyatt. Excellent location, very large rooms and great views. Across the street with an unobstructed view.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Thank you so much. The $160-$260 per night range is ideal. The Hyatt looks nice and there is alot of activity around the hotel.

Edited: 03 February 2013, 06:02
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Honestly, the Hyatt sounds perfect for you. Right where the action is and a lovely, too.

The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach (not Outrigger Reef) and the Moana Surfrider are the runners-up. Outrigger doesn't feel as upscale as Hyatt. Moana Surfrider, depending on the year, is probably around the top of your budget.

But Hyatt, I believe, is the best choice for the lively experience you described. Lucky aunt!

Have fun!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,448 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Can't beat the Outrigger Waikiki or Hyatt for prime location.

Also, for a little less expensive, maybe look at the Holiday Inn Waikiki Beachcomber.

It is right across the street from the Outrigger Waikiki and has been recently renovated. It sits right next to the International Marketplace. Hundreds of shops and restaurants within walking distance.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,298 posts
423 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Hyatt Regency would be my pick.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
643 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

I think your initial choice of Park Shore is too far from the action. Best location by far will be Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach or Hyatt Regency. I've stayed at both and I prefer the Hyatt. We had partial oceanview rooms at both and the Hyatt was better for sitting on your balcony people watching - and directly across the road from the beach with nothing blocking your view.

Request a room on a high floor as noise from the street (at both hotels) can be an issue as you are right in the centre. Shops and restaurants in the immediate vicinity a big bonus too.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Treating your aunt to a Hawaiian vacation is a lovely gesture. I'm sure you'll both have a wonderful time. I'd choose the Hyatt for it's central location and larger, nicer rooms.

Aloha

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,744 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

The Hyatt is a great choice. As is the Outrigger Waikiki or Outrigger Reef. As long as you stick to the central area of Waikiki (which is not very big at all) you'll be plenty close to "the action".

Also don't feel you need to look only to your own hotel as far as providing "fun". It's easy to stroll along the beach or sidewalks and find all kinds of great places to stop for drinks, music, a bite to eat. I stay at Waikiki Sand Villa (a more budget property back by the canal) but I go out in the evenings for drinks at Moana Surfrider, Duke's restaurant, the Sheraton, Shorebird at the Reef, etc.

suze

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
68 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone. I REALLY appreciate it. It sounds like most would go with the Hyatt Regency.

Are there any thoughts about the Hilton Hawaiian Village?

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need input...reasonable hotel where the action is...

Personally, I love the Hilton Hawaiian Village. It's my favorite four-star in Honolulu.

But it's not where the action is. It's a big resort with enough going on that it sort of makes its own action. And I love it because it's on a great, very spacious stretch of beach and has tons of open space. But it's not right on the pulse of Waikiki. To get to the Hyatt area from Hilton Hawaiian Village is probably about a 15-minute walk. Maybe a little less.

Choose HHV only if you're willing to compromise on being right where the action is. Otherwise, stick with Hyatt.