We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Itinerary

Boston...
1 post
Save Topic
Advice on Itinerary

Hi

My boyfriend and I (in our twenties) are visiting his friend and girlfriend for 10 days! We are going April 5-14. He has a house in Kaneohe we are going to stay at and has a car we can use too. How does this itinerary sound? Is it too packed? Are we missing anything important to do? It is a rough draft, so any suggestions or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Friday: Land at 3:10, go back to Jake’s, get food at store (food, Beach stuff), First Friday (Chinatown), go to beach/watch sunset, fire works, make dinner

Saturday: AM: Diamond Head Hike, drive over to Halona Blowhole and Makapuu Point, Afternoon: make lunches, bring to Kailua beach PM: dinner, go out in Waikiki?

Sunday: AM: Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona Memorials (free tour). Swap Meet (Aloha Stadium 8-3) afternoon/PM: beach by house, dinner

Monday: AM: surfing lessons (groupon at Big Wave Dave), walk around Waikiki Beach/shops PM: dinner near house

Tuesday: AM: Lanikai beach/golf/spa PM: Moose McGillycuddy’s in Waikiki-$2 drink night,$5 cover.

Wednesday: AM: Hanuama Bay –snorkeling, beach, hike up hill for view. Afternoon: open

Thursday: My Birthday! AM: drive around island - Visit North Shore beaches (Sunset Beach, Turtle Bay, get shave ice), Polynesian Center Luau? still trying to decide what special thing I want to do to celebrate for my birthday!

Friday: AM: Drive to West side of island, Kaena Point hike. PM: Waikiki beach, fireworks at Hilton

Saturday: AM: 7:30-11AM Kapiolani Community College Farmer’s Market, Manoa Falls Hike, Beach

Sunday: go out for breakfast, leave for Airport around noon (flight at 3:10)

Mentioned in this post
Kaneohe
Kaneohe
Oahu, HI
Chinatown
Chinatown
577 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Aloha Stadium
Aloha Stadium
213 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki Beach
Waikiki Beach
14,077 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Lanikai
Lanikai
Oahu, HI
Ty Gurney Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Inter-Island Surf Shop
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Surf Caddy
Scuba & Snorkeling, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Big Wave Dave Surf Co
Water Sports, Lessons & Workshops, Equipment Hire, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Isn't the first friday thing in Chinatown a nighttime thing?

Hawaii doesn't do daylight savings and sunset times don't vary too much there year round.

Edited: 08 February 2013, 21:40
Mentioned in this post
Chinatown
Chinatown
577 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,037 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. Driving tours, maps, websites, etc.

You can reserve tickets for USS Arizona Memorial for $1.50 each (service charge):

www.recreation.gov/tourList.do… Make sure you get the USS Arizona Memorial tour.

National Cemetery of the Pacific is really nice. So is Roundtop/Tantalus Drive right above the national cemetery.

Order the free Oahu planner. Lots of info & maps:

1-800-GOHAWAII

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,037 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Try to fit Kaiwa Ridge Trail, aka Lanikai Pillbox hike.

Park near Mid-Pac Golf Course.

The pillboxes are military bunkers. You can stand on top of them for a great view of Lanikai & Kailua.

If you go past the second one you can get to where you can see Bellows & Waimanalo.

Nice site for Kailua/Lanikai.

www.kailuavacationrentals.net/index.html

It has a beach guide, dining, shopping & maps.

www.kailuavacationrentals.net/kailuamap.html

Order the "free" Kailua map. Send a self addressed #10 business size envelope with $.84 cent stamp on it. (Postage just went up, so it may be a few cents more than that.)

You can also download some of their maps for free.

Not sure which hike you plan to do at Hanauma Bay. I assume it is the one that goes up the hill around the right side of the bay. Just as you turn into Hanauma Bay, there is a road going up the hill. It will have a chain across the road. Hikers are allowed to use the road.

This road will have some nice views of Hawaii Kai. You'll see hikers going up Koko Crater hike.

Hike as far as the radar or satellite. Not sure what it is. Then there is a dirt trail/road that goes toward the ocean. Four-wheelers use this for fishing.

Once you get closer to the ocean, you can make your way toward Hanauma Bay. There are only a couple places where you'll get a nice view.

Mentioned in this post
Kailua
Kailua
Oahu, HI
Lanikai
Lanikai
Oahu, HI
Hawaii Kai
Hawaii Kai
Oahu, HI
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,037 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Itinerary

The hike at Hanauma Bay will take you to the bottom left of this photo.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Oahu_from_air2.jpg

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Itinerary

Just remember the Polynesian Cultural Center serves no alcohol.....that wouldn't work for me on my birthday.... ;-)

6. Re: Advice on Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2014, 05:16