We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

6 posts
Save Topic
13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

Hey Everyone,

My family and I are heading over in June this year (Australia to Waikiki) for 13 days. We have a rough itinerary of what we want to do. Pearl Harbor and shopping.. but its mainly just a relaxing holiday. I want to know how much spending money I will need, I plan on doing some shopping on some days.. Our flights and accommodation are all paid for, but we want to know how much to save as we dont have very long until we leave. We have figured we could most likely share two meals between the four of us as we aren't big eaters & we got a hotel room with a kitchen, so the food side of things is pretty much covered also.

Any help you can give would be amazing.

Thanks.

Emma

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
284 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

You will find the prices really great over there.. Clothes & alcohol are Very good..you'll wonder how the heck a bottle of Aus wine is cheaper THERE ! Generally speaking, meals are not 'cheap' ....average say $10 But...they sure as heck feed more than one. Hubby n I often share meals. Some places like Shorebirds at the Outrigger Reef, give like shoppa dockets. Buy one get the second 50% etc. Having said that ,there are places u can get cheaper like the fast food court upstairs in the Royal Hawaiian shopping mall.

So save as hard as u can. It's not the food that will pop your budget..it's the shopping! Top of our list is shoes & jeans. Levi's for $40? Macy's will give u a 10% off card for being an overseas visitor. Enjoy!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

There are a few food courts around as well ... a large one on the ground floor of the Ala Moana Shopping Centre.

Some of the meals are huge (especially at the Cheesecake Factory in Waikiki, which is popular with Aussies) ... so you could share a meal if you wish, and take one of their delicious cheesecakes back to your room for supper...

The trick there is to go for a late lunch or early dinner, as the queues can be long.

It can be as expensive or as cheap as you want it to be.

The local transportation is called The Bus, and it goes all over the island. One ride (ie Waikiki to Pearl Habor) is $2.50 per person each way and you must have the correct money. They will take a $5 note for 2 people. Or if you think you will travel a lot on the Bus, you can buy a 4-day pass from any ABC Store for $25. You can even go to the north shore on the bus if you wish.

You didn't mention what hotel you are staying at, but you can buy general items at any ABC Store .. on every corner in Waikiki ...or there is a Food Pantry in Waikiki on Kuhio Avenue, behind the Sheraton Princess Kaulani.

6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

Thanks so much for your help :-)! I always over budget for trips but dont have that kind of money at the moment so i wanted to know how much we would need. Mum & I share our meals & my dad and brother share. So that makes it easy.

6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

We are staying in the Aston Waikiki Sunset :-)

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,324 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

they have a groupn today for a catamaran sail on the MaiTai. 90 minute afternoon sail for $13 a person for four

www.groupon.com/deals/mai-ta-i-catamaran…

you can have a lof of fun in waikiki without spending much

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

It's really up to you to determine how much you will spend. There is a broad array of food choices and prices. And the "drinks" can be the most expensive part. Shopping - prices are low compared to Australia - but you can still go over budget because there is so much to choose from.

Please, please ... so some reading about Oahu. Know your options. Pearl Harbor is a must - but there are so, so many other places to see and things to do. Don't fly all the way to Honolulu - and then miss the other parts of the gorgeous island!

Budget for a car or tours.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

If you ate only fast food or packaged stuff from ABC Stores, you could eat for as little as $15 per day per person in Waikiki. If you want to eat better, the sky's the limit.

What hotel are you at? I suggest you start researching eateries within walking distance of your hotel. THEN come up with a rough eating plan. Decide how many nice sit-down meals you want, how many cheap sit-down meals you want, and how many stuff-in-your-face-on-the-go meals you want.

Then plot the options around hotel and set your own plan and budget!

Tehachapi California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

Aloha, We go to Oahu every march I go with my kids and family members so we have to budget but we still have fun. The First thing I do is get an Entertainment book for Hawaii they are on sale right now for 21dollars that book will save your family soooo much money for example I am using a Paradise Cove coupon 25% off each ticket if I buy 4 Tickets It actually get 1 of my persons in for free thats a savings of 88 dollars also there are activity coupons and tons of food coupons that will save you so much money, second buy the 4-day bus fare that will save right there , dont just stay in the city go out and venture its beautiful and the bus will take you there, we go to kualoa Ranch and our family does Atving its a blast they have tours of movie sites you can also tour, with some planning you can have fun and not spend alot

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

Interesting, purple. You have posted out of the blue twice in 2 years - both to pitch the Entertainment Book. What affiliation do you have with them?

Tehachapi California
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 13 Days In Paradise - Budget help required guys!!

I just buy the book I am a customer I was just trying to help another person that travels with a family and have budget in mind I wasnt aware I had to post on a regular basis so if out of the blue comment was because I am a mother that works and Really dont get to post much again if I have upset anyone wasnt my intention was just trying to help