We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
london uk
Level Contributor
198 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

Hi,

We are travelling British Airways from LHR to LAX, and then flying AA from LAX to HNL (in one day) and we wanted to know if our bags are checked in the whole way from LHR to HNL or if we have to collect the bags are LAX and drop them off/re-check in?

We are scheduled to land at LAX at 14:30 and then depart LAX for HNL at 18:00 .

Have any of you done this journey? Do you know if there is a separate immigration queue for travellers with connecting flights?

Any recomendations regarding buying food for the HNL flight at LAX?

I think the AA 18:00 flight is the last flight out to HNL and am anxious that we will miss it.

Thanks

Bangalore
Level Contributor
70 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

British Airways has a codeshare agreement with AA, so you shouldn't have a problem checking your baggage right through to your final destination. I would still check with BA though just to make sure.

From their website:

Checked Baggage and Boarding Passes:

Check your baggage through to your final destination and obtain boarding passes for all American Airlines codeshare flights operated by British Airways and BA Connect. Checked Bag Charges may apply to any flight operated by American Airlines.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

Pretty certain you will need to collect your baggage after passing through immigration in LAX then place them on the baggage drop after customs, as LAX is where you will enter the US.

Only ever had my bags checked all the way through when I've been in transit, say to Central or South America, never when entering the US.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 18:20
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

No separate immigration queue at LAX, but you have three and a half hours, so barring a significant delay you will be fine.

Sorry, shoud have written 'only ever not had to take my checked all the way through bags to the bag drop after customs when in transit.....' they are always checked all the way through on one ticket even with partners.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 18:25
Ireland
Level Contributor
114 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

We travelled this route last year with BA and had no problems. You will have to collect your bags in LAX and then return them to the bag drop before you clear immigration . You will have plenty of time, so don't worry. If there is any problem with delays and a flight is missed, you will be looked after because you are traveling on one ticket. It is easy to navigate LAX. There are plenty of staff there to help if you have any questions. We found that we had enough food on the plane but some crackers etc are always good to have. Just to note, you have to purchase food on the AA flight. Get something to eat in the airport and make sure you bring plenty of drinks on this flight. Remember this will be the middle of the night for you and you may feel better not eating to much. You will have a long trip but it will be worth it to get to paradise . I hope you have a good flight and a great trip. If I can help with anything , please ask. Aloha!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,825 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

>>>Pretty certain you will need to collect your baggage after passing through immigration in LAX then place them on the baggage drop after customs, as LAX is where you will enter the US.<<<

Actually you have to get your bags before you clear customs, clear customs and then recheck them in. I assume the BA flight will land at the Tom Bradley International Terminal and the AA flight will leave from Terminal 4. See Map below.

lawa.org/uploadedFiles/…20Map.pdf

The good news is that on the way home the bags will be checked through HNL to LHR with an automatic transfer assuming you booked on one ticket using code share.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,038 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

That's what I said, 'bag drop after customs'.

Never ever dropped a bag before clearing immigration in the US, customs is always after the baggage hall if it's an international arrival, you don't get your bags before immigration, at least I never have at any of the many US airports I've used, or anywhere else in the world for that matter.

Other than flying from Dublin once where we cleared mmigration there before the flight, so straight to baggage and customs in LA

Edited: 15 February 2013, 05:59
London, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

Flew this route in December with united on a Monday. First you go through immigration, there was only a short queue when we arrived (make sure you have applied for your esta!) then we picked up our checked bag and almost immediately dropped it off for the next flight to HNL. No problems and plenty of time to get everything done. I wouldn't worry about it, when you arrive at LHR ask the counter staff when you are checking in the bags and they will tell you what to do at LAX. I would take full benefit of the free food on the transatlantic flight as you will have to pay on the LAX HNL leg as it is a domestic flight

london uk
Level Contributor
198 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

Thank you.

Did you have to repack duty free items before boarding the connecting flight? I was thinking of buying some perfume at LHR.

london uk
Level Contributor
198 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

Update.......

British airways did not check in our luggage the whole way to Oahu (HNL) hence, we had to go through security at LAX, pick up our luggage, go to a different terminal, re-checkin and drop of our bagsd. We had 3.5 hours to do this and it worked out well as there were no flight delays.

10. Re: LHR to LAX to HNL - baggage checked in all the way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2014, 06:16