We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can we find a big bookstore?

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Where can we find a big bookstore?

Hi,

We will be in Waikiki area for a couple of days in March. And I wouold like to buy some science books when we will be in this area. Where can we find science/math/engineering books in Honolulu?

Thanks in advance.

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

The only big book store near Waikiki I know of, is at the Ala Moana Shopping mall, Barnes & Noble. I don't know how much STEM books they stock though. I wonder if the university of Hawai book store may not be a better option.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

I agree with alumnus above. I do love that Barnes & Noble ... but also try the University of Hawai. Try both.

http://www.yellowpages.com/honolulu-hi/bookstore?g=Honolulu%2C+HI&q=Bookstore

Here is the link to the Yellow Pages (phone book lists) for bookstores in Honolulu. You can try to pull these bookstores up on-line to see what they carry. You'll want to call any of these before actually showing up ... and some move or go out of business. I learned this the hard way.

Another idea! If you go on the Barnes & Noble website - perhaps they can "drop ship" what you want to the Honolulu store. That means that you buy it, and they ship it to Honolulu for pick-up.

(Can you tell that I used to work in bookstores??)

Edited: 19 February 2013, 17:06
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

http://www.yellowpages.com/honolulu-hi

I had trouble cutting and pasting the link for the bookstore list ... so used this link and type "bookstores" in the search box.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,542 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

I think the University of Hawaii is going to be your best resource.

www.bookstore.hawaii.edu/manoa/home.aspx

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

Guys,

Thanks much. By the way, how can I go to the University of Hawaii by bus from Waikiki area? Does this university have a department of science/math/engineering?

Thanks.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

Yes, you can take the bus to the University of Hawaii. Take a map of the campus, though - or ask people for help finding the bookstore. It's a large campus.

Take a look at the UH website for information on their science/math/engineering.

I live fairly close to a Barnes and Noble here in California ... and I'll drop by sometime this weekend and take a look at the science/math/engineering section and post back here. I'll also ask about drop-shipping for overseas customers.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 16:24
Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

Thanks BLBL. But I do not intend to 'reserve' any books. I just want to see if some books from Springer and Oxford UP are in good price ranges.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

You can sign up for a Barnes & Noble membership card which will save you 10% on most books and other items (music). It costs $25 - and at least for me, it pays for itself over and over. For you - it would depend on how much you want to buy.

You'll find that many of the major stores in Hawaii (and some smaller ones) can accomodate special requests from international visitors - so don't hesitate to ask.

I'll still peek in there this weekend. Bookstores are an irresistible force for me.

Nagoya, Japan
Level Contributor
977 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

BLBL,

Thanks much. You are very kind.

By the way, Are there any second-hand booksops near Waikiki? Old maps, old detective stories and classical literatures?

Thanks again.

10. Re: Where can we find a big bookstore?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 07:15