We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Homeless persons in Honolulu

Bradford...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Homeless persons in Honolulu

I have been reading the tripadvisor reviews for the Waikiki Marriott Resort and for the Hawaiian Hilton Village and tonight is the first I have read about a large number of homeless near the Marriott. I am used to seeing the homeless in large cities but would like to stay where there are as few as possible. This is a once in a lifetime trip for my husband's 60th birthday and I want things to be nice for him. Thanks for any advice.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

While I did see homeless people in Honolulu/Waikiki, none were bothersome at all . . . but I haven't noticed them on the smaller islands (at least not like I noticed them in Waikiki) so if you want to avoid them all together, go to a smaller island. :)

Edited: 20 February 2013, 01:30
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,837 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

Try the Disney resort.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

They are there yes but they do not bother you or in my experience panhandle.

Unfortunately there are homeless people even in the small town we live in.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

Wow. I really hope none of the homeless inconvenience your husband on his 60th birthday. Yes, there are homeless people in Honolulu being that it is a large city. And drugs. And prostitution. And crime. Ever watch Hawaii 5-0, or Dog the Bounty Hunter? In Waikiki, we mostly noticed homeless sleeping in Kapiolani Park, which I guess is closer to the Marriot, but we also saw them in almost every park on Kauai as well. My suggestion is to not frequent the parks (especially at night) if it will be disturb you to see the less fortunate during your dream vacation in paradise.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,775 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

I've never noticed large numbers of homeless near the Marriott. I've never been accosted.

Bradford...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

Thank you for your response. I am use to the homeless in Vegas and in Toronto but we do not have any homeless in my rural town in PA...too cold!!! Just odd to read two negative remarks about the homeless by the Marriott. Then I read an article about the homeless in Honolulu and it showed a level I have never seen before. Tent cities and such. Tough to have fun on vacation if you see too many people struggling. The article talked about a lot of the homeless that actually have part time jobs but simply can't afford the high cost of housing.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,836 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

Man, if I had to be homeless, I would rather be in Hawaii where it is warm! It is -30 here today, and we have homeless in Fairbanks (like cities everywhere) - someone usually dies at least once during the winter due to extreme cold - very sad. I really wouldn't worry about it overly much . . .

Bradford...
Level Contributor
9 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

Trvlngrl96 and ddffpp.......sorry if you think I don't understand people that are down and out. No I don't expect a Disney vacation and neither do I want a lot of stress. I have worked in a high security male prison for 20 years and if anyone knows about drugs, prostitution and crime.....trust me...I do. If you worked in a prison, yes...you would hope for a paradise vacation too. I am going to see an old friend on the Big Island and he and his wife convinced us to go to some of the other islands too. We are from rural Pennsylvania and we have plenty of poor and needy but we do not have people living on the streets. You may be used to seeing the homeless living in Philly but I am not!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,995 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

>>>Tough to have fun on vacation if you see too many people struggling.<<<

Why not help then......volunteer a little time. It feels really good to give back, especially on vacation. The food banks need all the help they can get!

http://www.hawaiifoodbank.org/page1.aspx

3Chihuahuas

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Homeless persons in Honolulu

Cruisinnanc, maybe you would like to do some volunteer work to aid the homeless while you are on vacation. I am sure the Oahu DEs or some local forum regulars could give you good ideas. When we wanted to do something to give back to Maui, DE swmarket recommended we contact a homeless resource center on Maui. We have had the best experience getting to know the people of KAHAKO Homeless Resource Centers, sharing our time and books for the children. It is amazing to us how rewarding it can be to volunteer on vacation and meet some local people. Even if you only donate to the local food bank, you can do a little something to help.