We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Topic
Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

Hello,

Any suggestions for family accomodations 5 nights on Oahu with an 11 year old and a 9 year old and two adults? Budget for lodging for the entire 5 nights is probably in the $2.5K-3K range. Late June to early July

Would prefer a larger room with Lanai if possible. Also, we would prefer to be on the beach and be close to all the action. We have looked at Hilton Hawaiian Village but have heard mixed reviews and have looked at others but would like something memorable for the kids. We don't need to have an amusment park feel but it doesn't bother us either.

Thank you in advance for all of your help,

Robert

Edited: 06 March 2013, 18:34
Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
The Lanai
The Lanai
8 Reviews
Oahu, HI
laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,405 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

I think the Hilton is the best choice. People like to complain, its a great place for families

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,769 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

With that budget, I would suggest Royal Hawaiian, Moana Surfrider (tower rooms only) or Outrigger Waikiki. They are all on the beach and rooms are adequate size for the 4 of you.

Royal Hawaiian gives you access for the pool at the Sheraton Waikiki next door which seems to be popular with kids. The actual pool at Royal Hawaiian is very small so not good for a family.

Pools at the Outrigger and Moana are O.K. but right on the beach so good locations.

These 3 hotels are in the prime spot in Waikiki for best beach activites, great shopping and lots of places to eat and things to see. Any of them would be good for you in my opinion.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Sheraton Waikiki
Sheraton Waikiki
6,399 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,669 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

At that age a good pool is important, i find some kids get tired of swimming in sea water ( hurts there eyes etc) Both the Hilton and the Sheraton have good pools for kids. The Outriggers pool is small, and has no "features" ( like slide etc) so while I love the location of it the best, the Hilton or Sheraton are probably better choices. I haven't stayed at the Royal Hawaian its way over my budget, but if its within your budget and you can use the pool at the Sheraton then thats another option. I did like that at the Sheraton we had a partial ocean view room that had a great view, we could see sea turtle from the balcony almost every day!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

At the Outrigger Waikiki, you can get an Ocean Front room with 2 Q beds and a sofa bed which will come in handy with kids that age as they probably don't want to share a bed. I think being directly ocean front in the center of the action of Waikiki beach will be pretty memorable (and convenient).

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
28,023 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

HHV is the best for kids that age.

Chicago, Illinois
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

Thank you all for your suggestions. They are all very helpful and I appreciate all of your help. Is the HHV too far away from the action? My kids love the hustle of the city too. I imagine we will walk a lot down the avenue as well as on the beach.

Any recommendations on which building to stay in at HHV? I have heard the Alii Tower is nice but not worth the extra money. We would like to be convenient to the beach. We were considering the Alii and the Rainbow Tower.

Joan, I agree that the pool is probably important with our kids. I don't think we need the fancy slides but they don't hurt either. The lagoon seems like a nice alternative to the ocean and a pool. Does anyone have experience at the lagoon?

Placebets, I would prefer to stay at the Royal and Moana just for the charm and historic feel. While they can fit our budget, it seems like either the availability of the rooms you recommended are low. Or, the rooms we would like fall out of our budget.

Sharona, I have heard great things about both Outrigger resorts and will loook more into your suggestion.

Thank you again for all of your help!!!

Dallas
Level Contributor
24,769 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

robert r - then stay at the Outrigger Waikiki. It sits between the Royal Hawaiian and the Moana, and we spend lots of time at both of them as well. And, it's been recently refurbished, has a pool that overlooks the beach and several good places to eat in the hotel.

All of that area is very walkable. If you stay at HHV, you are a fair walk down to that part of Waikiki, and this is the sweet spot in the area for shopping, restaurants, activities and things to see.

Have a great trip. You will enjoy anywhere you stay. We made trips with our kids at those ages and they are among our best memories.

Now we are just waiting for our 3 granddaughters to get about that age and we are going to take them too.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
8. Re: Waikiki Summer Trip with Kids - Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2014, 05:16