We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

partial ocean view

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
partial ocean view

We are staying 3 nights on Waikiki and then heading up to the

north shore. We're looking at the Aston Waikiki Beach hotel. I

guess my question is, is it worth another $56 a night to have an

ocean front room as opposed to a partial view? I don't want to

be cheap and we're getting sa good deal on the condo up

north so I'm inclined to do it. ALso, does anyone know how

much they charge for parking? I'm going to email the Aston

but I thought I'd ask.

thanks

pam

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,044 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: partial ocean view

The thing with a partial ocean view is that the view may be slight ... and you may need to hang from your knees over the balcony. I'm not really kidding ... and I never opt to pay for partial ocean view. In other words, with an ocean front room you should get an ocean front view. With a partial ocean view you may or may not see the ocean (or a slice of it) from your room. It could be from you balcony. Hotels can get away with murder with a "partial ocean view" definition.

If you are going to hang out in your room and want to pay for the ocean front - cool. If you plan to be out and about most of the time ... then I would opt for a cheaper room. You can catch the sunset from the beach or a beach-side bar ... or a number of other places.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: partial ocean view

Yup, partial ocean view one time was if you leaned out over the balcony you could see the ocean.

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
755 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: partial ocean view

Have you looked closely at their website, I'm not trying to be insulting, but it is really good. When you look at the building itself, the partial ocean view rooms look to have a very good view, judging from visitors photos. When on their website, click on virtual tour, and check out ocean view room. Looks pretty good to me. Also you can check out photos on tripadvisor from others that have stayed there. In May, we wanted to see what the rooms looked like, so we asked to view a room, and honestly I would stay there, great location, and so close to the beach, right across it in fact with no building in front of you.

http://www.astonwaikikibeach.com/

Hope this helps with your decision.

Maryland, United...
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: partial ocean view

We stayed in the Aston Waikiki Circle hotel and had a partial ocean view. In a nut shell, our room faced diamond head but we had a balcony that we could eat out on see Waikiki Beach and the ocean and it was fantastic (the balcony faced Diamond Head but was big enough that we could place a small table and chairs facing the ocean).

I would ask the hotel if the balcony had an unobstructed view of the ocean.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,044 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: partial ocean view

Jungleland - that is a good idea ... although the partial ocean rooms may be sprinkled around the building. Staff may not know until close to the time of arrive which room the poster will be assigned to.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: partial ocean view

Thanks

I had started to back away from the Aston Waikiki Beach because I

was reading some negative reviews, little things like small room,

crummy breakfast, small bathroom, not updated, nothing big. But we

will only be there Monday afternoon to Thursday morning so I guess it

doesn't matter all that much. And the "daily charge" is only $18 compared

to some that are $25. Am I wrong that that is a real rip off. I've stayed in

hotels and B&B.s all over Europe and never heard of that. I think we'll

just ask for a room up high and see what the parking charges are and

probably end up staying there. It's only 3 nights until we head up north.

thanks

pam

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
155 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: partial ocean view

Is the Outrigger on Wakiki worth the price? I guess they don't charge the "daily

Service fee" that other hotels do, but the parking is something like $27 a day.

I was also looking at a condo at the Banyan, I think, but its a couple of blocks

From Waikiki.

I'm at the point of saying the hell with it, we'll probably never come back

To Oahu and we got a really good deal on a condo up north, so I think we

Might just splurge and go for the Outrigger. If we like Hawaii, next time we'll go directly to Maui. Or Kauai.

Pam

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,044 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: partial ocean view

The Outrigger Waikiki has the best location of any you have mentioned. Very central. Some recent renovations - nice pools. but the issues of partial ocean views applies at any hotel actually. Full of hits and misses.

Also - take a look at the Waikiki Parc. Go up on their website. They have packages that include parking. Next trip, that is where I'm going to stay. Excellent location.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: partial ocean view

Here is my thought on ocean views.

Ocean views are fascinating during the day. At night, all you see is darkness.

If you have a city view, you always have something to look at when you are sitting out on the lanai. I love the city view at night. It is like a twinkly sparkling paradise.

If you are planning to sit out on your lanai and watch the view for lengthy amounts of time and watching waves roll in is your thing, an ocean view might be worth the extra monies.

But for me, if I am watching waves, I'd rather be at the beach. During the day I am out and about. Mostly the hotel room is for sleeping.

The thing I most missed after our last trip was the sparkly night lights. This was the view from our lanai at the HHV - you can see some ocean from it

http://beedoo747.shutterfly.com/pictures/16

http://beedoo747.shutterfly.com/pictures/72

The condo we want to book for our next trip has a very similar view from the lanai. We could pay extra for an ocean or marina view but this view is the one I prefer.

Pam is it that you are getting frustrated searching for a room, is that why you are feeling a bit over it?

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,641 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: partial ocean view

BLBL said -

"Also - take a look at the Waikiki Parc. Go up on their website. They have packages that include parking. Next trip, that is where I'm going to stay. Excellent location."

When we were going to stay in a hotel, we had narrowed it down to 3 and the Waikiki Parc was one of them. I had never heard much of this hotel before. The location looks incredible. I'll like to hear what you think of it.