We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are bed bugs a problem???

Summerland, Canada
Level Contributor
27 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Are bed bugs a problem???

I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with Bed Bugs in any of the Waikiki Hotels? We're checking into the Sheraton Princess Kuiliani next week just wondering if we should be on the look out for anything? Any tips or things we should be on the lookout for?

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

Bed bugs are a problem all over the world.

This has absolutely nothing to do with cleanliness and everything to do with bedbugs being creatures well adapted to hitching a ride on people and personal effects.

Of course the fact that people are not very well educated on them or what to look for does not help in any way. Add in the fact that the treatment is difficult, costly and time consuming.. it is an issue not just for hotels but homes as well.

I have travelled a lot in my lifetime and have never personally encountered them. But, I do know what to look for, and I do check for those things.

The only reason for that is because I once thought I encountered them at a very dodgy hotel in Airlie Beach (north queensland) and I did some research into it - turned out to be mosquito bites. There was an outbreak of Dengue in that area at the time and the amount of awful pest spray I was covering myself in, I would have thought mosquitos would run a mile, but apparently my blood is Ono Kine Grindz.

honolulumagazine.com/Honolulu-Magazine/…

staradvertiser.com/news/…

If you wish to educate yourself on what to look for, just google "what to look for bed bugs" - there are videos as well as articles.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

Sure, always be on the lookout.

I travelled all over the world 5 days a week for over 20 years, and stayed in hundreds of hotels. Never saw a bed bug in my life.

But, I was always on the lookout for any signs of trouble.

N Dartmouth MA
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

I always check the mattress seams. I lift the sheets and check for little brown or red spots that may look like blood. I sometimes check the pictures on the wall too, at the back. I've never had a problem. You can't be too careful.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,088 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

I always check under the carpet. And at the bottom of the shower curtain. And beneath the alarm clock, especially there!

5. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 20:46
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,936 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

I've never experienced bed bugs and have never looked for them. Just lucky I guess. I haven't heard anything lately that would make me think you would have a problem.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,167 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

There is a bed bug registry

bedbugregistry.com/hotel/HI/Honolulu/Sherato…

You can look up speciifics hotels.Guests will post their sightings, dates etc...

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

never heard of them here but seems there are. I wouldn't worry about this. I think you have Another Fantastic Stay!!!

got to say I went to Mumbai last year and researched on TA. it was a task finding a hotel without bed bug reviews. full of pictures of the dirty little guys. the only place I went and bothered checking the sheets.

since I'm ranting you cant use bed bugs in a review title without getting an email asking you if your sure about this. nastiest things I've seen in Hawaii are the uku's (lice). makes me shiver.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

Haven't had a bedbug post in ages. But - if you see or smell MOLD - march back up to the front desk.

The PK is scheduled for demolition. Most of it, anyway. The owners have other irons in the fire, so it has been delayed and delayed. Not much TLC going on ...

10. Re: Are bed bugs a problem???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2013, 20:46