We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who's Counting Down and....

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Who's Counting Down and....

Who's counting down with me? 47 days until our first trip to Oahu :)

AND... more importantly what should a first timer not forget to pack or be prepared for?

Thanks!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

138 days...

The good news is, anything you forget is easy to replace, while on Oahu. But that said, the things I'm always careful about are charging cables, memory cards, and waterproof packs (so I don't have to worry about keys or cell phone, when I go to the beach.

The more important thing is what to NOT pack. Travel light. The temperature is very consistent and nearly all restaurants are casual. There's nothing worse than getting home and realizing how much you've carried around paradise and never even wore.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

43 more sleeps for us. Grandeau's advise is spot on. We travel lighter and lighter every year. We even managed to travel with just carry on last year.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,461 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

29 days! Travel light as whatever you may need is available. Im at the point where a carryon is all I need. Now if Ms bob could do so...... :)

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,664 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

55 days for our twentieth trip to Oahua. Then 202 days until our twenty-first !!! LOL

Pack nothing but shorts and t-shirts (or better buy some t-shirts there), swim suits, and maybe a light jacket.

We just don't wear anything else and we used to take all kinds of stuff.

Oh, by the way, be sure the shoes or flip flops or whatever you take don't rub blisters. You will do a fair amount of walking and my wife always ends up with blisters cause she has to buy some new sandals or something before she goes. So now, we just make sure we take band aids too.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

Cameras? Check

iPad? Check

Charging cords? Check

Medications? Check

ID, credit cards and some cash? Check

Tickets and travel info? Check

129 more sleeps...

Fitchburg...
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

53 days for us...........first timers too !!! Packing sun dresses, and bathing suits, one pair of track shoes, and comfy flip flops........& sun screen!

Aloha !

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

I can feel the excitement from all who posted! Glad to hear I'm on the right track with my packing list... My travel advice is always pack your patience and a sense of humor and as much extra cash as you can! :) Those 3 things have come in handy over the years!

Packing light isn't a problem for us when it comes to clothes...what kills us is our dive gear/camera gear. Thinking of renting the dive gear and saving the space!

Fitchburg...
Level Contributor
653 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

We are taking our own mask and just renting the fins.... Can rent them from Snorkel Bobs for as long as you need.......gotta have room in the suitcase for all the stuff we take back!!!!

9. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 March 2013, 18:23
Edited: 11 March 2013, 18:23
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
59 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Who's Counting Down and....

26 days for us, our 4th trip. We too, just take a carry-on each and whiz right by those people waiting for checked luggage at the baggage claim.

Packing bathing suits, shorts, t-shirts, and comfy shoes are the priorities for us.

Have a great trip!!!