We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Topic
All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good all inclusive resort? I would just like a vacation where I can sit by a beach and read my books, possibly have a spa treatment or two…. I’m not interested in leaving the resort so I would prefer if the food was good as well. If this is unrealistic please let me know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
212 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

I don't think there are many all-inclusive resorts on Oahu, but many hotels are on the beach and have their own restaurants plus there is a wide variety of choice within easy walking distance. If you do not want to leave the hotel area, you will miss out on all the wonderful things Oahu has to offer though. Normally it is recommended to hire a car or use The Bus and get out and about the island, and there are many easily organised tours to e.g. Kailua etc

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

Hawaii really isn't known for AI's . . . more typical in the Caribbean and Mexico. But you could pick certain areas where you would get a similar feeling . . . Waikiki would offer that, unless you are wanting something more secluded - all depends on the island. :)

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

There is only one all-inclusive in Hawaii: Travaasa Hana on Maui. (I may have my 'double a's' in the wrong place.)

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

The "all inclusive" concept just isn't an option in Hawaii like it is, for example, in the Caribbean.

There are resorts that have good restaurants and bars on site, but accommodation, food, and drinks are all billed separately.

Actually, somebody mentioned a few months back on here that they were aware of one AI in Hawaii. Don't recall the name. I believe they commented that is was VERY expensive. Maybe use the Search function (above) to dredge it up.

Good luck~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

ChiSue,

Yep, that was the name of it. Thx.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,890 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

Only AI (as ChiSue pointed out) is Travaasa which is a fitness/yoga/pilates type of resort, and it is located in Hana which is more rainy than what I would like for sitting on the beach to read a book.

www.travaasa.com/hana/#/hana-fitness-overview

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
86 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

Oh well, it was just a thought. Thank you anyways :-)

LA
Level Contributor
10,096 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

You can also stay at a Club Level room in the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua, Maui which has a lovely selection of light foods for each meal and snacks. It's pricey, but gives you as close to an AI experience as you can get outside of Traavasa in Hana, Maui.

The Grand Hyatt on Kauai also used to have a great Club Level room with a very adequate small meal/ nibbles selection that easily substituted for meals. They have a wonderful spa and a large pool complex (with some quiet areas). The hammocks by the salt walter pool were very nice to while away the afternoon in. I haven't seen much comment about their Club Level service for a while now. Before committing, I would check with the Club Level concierge to find out what it was really like. I stayed in the Waikiki Hyatt and their Club Level program was just plain LOUSY. Really bad, few selections, not very interesting, and they ran out of food and wouldn't replenish it. I'm a bit leery of the GH Kauai because of my really disappointing experience with the Waikiki facility.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

Although the A-I concept isn't a good match for Hawaii, there are several great resorts where you can hunker down, use the spa - and eat - and read. It you would like examples/ideas - let us know. If you prefer a certain Island, let us know. Some of these resorts are in very walkable areas, so you will get the best of both worlds.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,587 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All Inclusive resort for a bookworm traveling alone.

I had a single woman friend that did that a few years ago at the Ritz on Maui. I gave her a list of all kinds of things she could do on Maui and she told me she hardly left the resort - she just enjoyed her chair by the pool and happily read her day away. :)