We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma, Washington...
5 posts
Save Topic
1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Hello-

My soon to be wife and I are going to Honolulu for our honeymoon for 5 nights, the 2nd week of Sept. We have never been and are having a real hard time deciding on which hotel to stay at. We do have a tight budget as we have spent A LOT on the wedding already. We are really only hoping to spend about $200-$250 a night (give or take a bit). Originally we loved the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel but realized a week ago that it doesn't have a pool and we absolutely love swimming and don't want to be limited to the ocean. We really would like to stay on the beach (true ocean front not a block away), but will take suggestions for things very close to the beach if is really worth it. We have been looking at the Outrigger Reef on the Beach, but the pools at the Hilton Hawaiian Village are very appealing. I heard that HHV pools are super crowded but that wouldn't bother us too much plus we would stay in the Ali'l Tower if we do. We also like the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel as well (again the pool is awesome looking and looking at the beach), but its a bit more pricey. Im going crazy because I cant decide and I feel like if I don't stay right on the beach it won't be the same experience. This is our honeymoon and we want to have the best time ever. We plan on having many children here after so it might be a LONG time till we have a chance to come back. We just want to stay at a place that is somewhat affordable, super fun (we are both 24 and have playful personalities), and also somewhat romantic. We do plan on traveling around the island on a couple days to see more secluded areas and other attractions so ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
515 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Have a look at the outrigger Waikiki on the beach. Dukes is there making it a fun place. Right in the heart of the action.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

I think both the HHV Alii tower and the Sheraton might be beyond your budget. Try one of the Outrigger hotels and maybe you can get a partial ocean view & perhaps they'll have a sale between now & September as it's the start of the low season. Yes, the Sheraton pools are great. The Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is a good choice for 24 year olds, lots of activity going on at Dukes bar & it's in the center of everything as Bubkitkat said.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Remember that there are taxes, and sometimes resort and/or parking fees on top of quoted nightly prices.

The HHV is a kid-magnet and caters to large conferences. I don't think it is honeymoonish at all, and the location in not so good.

I agree with the others that you should consider the Outrigger Waikiki or the Outrigger Reef. You are coming during low season, so they may be within your budget.

Sometimes it's not the hotel choice itself that determines the cost of the room, but the room at the hotel that you choose. SO - no harm in checking out the Sheraton Waikiki as well.

Tacoma, Washington...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Awesome. Thank you for the info. I will check out the other Outrigger as well! Love this forum!

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

I'm a big fan of Hilton Hawaiian Village and especially the Alii Tower. But especially with the resort fee and parking charges, it could be tough to get it in your price range.

The Kalia Tower at HHV also has its own rooftop pool -- very quiet and uncrowded, just it doesn't overlook the beach like Alii Tower's pool does. Kalia usually cheaper.

The pool in Alii Tower is only for guests of that tower. But the pool in Kalia is open to all resort guests. So no matter what tower you stay in you can enjoy Kalia's quiet pool area. (It's on the same level as the spa.)

The one time I tried to use the pool at Sheraton Waikiki it was literally so crowded that I couldn't find two chairs anywhere. Also, the sand stops there so there's no beach. I wouldn't recommend the place for a pool lover.

Hilton Hawaiian Village has like five pools! I've never had a problem finding a lounger there.

If HHV with its resort fee and parking costs don't fit in your budget, look at:

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach and Hyatt Regency

Also, I recommend looking at Waikiki on the satellite view at Google Maps. It will give you a sense of how different properties are laid out and it offers a stunning view of the Hilton Hawaiian Village grounds and pools.

(Outrigger Reef on the Beach's pool doesn't overlook the ocean. It's hemmed in by buildings.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 16:40
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Do you have this? We have had so many practically-identical posts in the last few days that I forget who has what! Anyway - scroll down and click on the properties that interest you - and you'll get an aerial view. I generally disregard the commentary.

Here is a rough map of the hotels on Waikiki. Their commentary is different and more useful, I think. (If they keep it current!)

discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

Edited: 17 March 2013, 16:54
Tacoma, Washington...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Thanks for the advice everyone! I am very grateful. Do you have any suggestions on activities on the island that we absolutely must see?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Nick - you should pick up a travel guidebook or two (and a good map!) for Oahu and start reading about the activities and sights. Also - start reading down through the Oahu Forum daily, as there are tons of discussions about activities and restaurants.

Take a look at the top questions on the right-hand side of the OAHU and HONOLULU Forums. (I wish we just had one forum for both!)

You will have a car? Yes? What kinds of things would you like to do? What attracted you to Oahu? Do you have a good idea of your options? You're in for some wonderful surprises!

Please feel free to get back to us with more specific questions about activities. And I recommend posting on the Oahu Forum.

Edited: 18 March 2013, 16:42
California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

As BL pointed out, the best way to learn about the must-see attractions is through one of those guide books that hit on all the major stuff. The two "must sees" I most emphasize are Pearl Harbor and doing a "Circle Island Tour" (driving around the North Shore and windward coasts, with scenic stops along the way.)

Luaus are popular for first-timers (the Polynesian Cultural Center has the most highly recommended luau/Polynesian experience).

I'm also a big fan of snorkeling Hanauma Bay, spending time on any beach other than Waikiki (Waikiki Beach is great, but it's very, very different from the other beaches on the island. I recommend both!)

I'm not a big fan of the Diamond Head hike or the Dole Pineapple plantation.

But I love walking through Waimea Valley to Waimea Falls and enjoying live Hawaiian music while the sun sets over Waikiki (at a place like Moana Surfrider's Banyan Couryard or Halekulani's House Without a Key).

For a fun glimpse into Hawaii history, I really love Iolani Palace, too.

Tacoma, Washington...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st Timers & Newlyweds-Need Hotel Advice/Help

Yeah we are going to get a car but decided to get the car the 3rd day we are there. Is that a dumb idea? We just assumed we could stick around the hotel and Waikiki the first 2 days we are there. We would like to see some waterfalls and check out some of the other beaches. Without a doubt we are going to see the Pearl Harbor thing. Yeah there is just SOOO much to do I dont know what things to do first or what things to skip and all that! I will definitely keep my eyes open on these forums. Thanks for the advice BL and BeacheeMe