We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hyatt Regency

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Hyatt Regency

We are booked to stay at the Hyatt Regenct Waikiki in September this year for 9 nights in a partial ocean view room. Has anyone stayed here that has some feedback on the rooms and details of good shopping locations and touristy things to do. Thanks

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,599 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hyatt Regency

Well the Hyatt Regency is a great hotel and an excellent location. Rooms are large and comfortable, and if you get a good view you may never leave the room !!

Shopping and restaurants are plentiful and within easy walking distance of the hotel. I know that lots of the Aussies I have met seem to like to go to Ala Moana mall and there is a but you can catch that takes you down there but I have never done it. Only thing that I always find out that Aussies seem to love that is not on Waikiki Beach is Nordstrum's which is at Ala Moana.

I would suggest you take a look at the top right of this page and look at Oahu driving tours, and free and inexpensive things to do. There are so many things that I could never list them all, but you should get some ideas from those threads.

Bus service in Honolulu is good and you can walk to most places, but I do suggest a car for at least a day or two to take a drive around the island and see what all there is to see. You can pick up and drop off a car right in your hotel and that's what I do to keep from spending lots of money on parking a rent car that sits for days.

Hope this is some help. Come back if you have additional questions and you will get lots of other ideas and suggestions.

Have a great trip.

And, welcome to the forum. Great place to get information and provide feedback, and, get excited about your trip.

Aloha

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,936 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hyatt Regency

I'd start working my way through the traveler articles for ideas on what to see and do.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g60982-s1/…Inside.html

Waikiki is a relatively small area with lots of shopping and dining options, read the Amberloo & Food topic in the Top Questions about Honolulu area at the right of the screen.

It would be good to know who the "we" is and approximate ages, there will be different recs for families vs seniors.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hyatt Regency

The rooms are large. Very comfy and spacious. Your view should be great, and if you remember, contact them a month ahead and ask for an upper floor.

Shopping! There are shops all up and down Waikiki and you can easily take a short bus ride to the Ala Moana (shopping) Center - the largest open-air shopping center in the USA. (And the food options are great there as well!)

As to your activities, you should do some research and see what appeals to you. The whole Island is gorgeous (!!) so consider renting a car or taking some tours to explore outside of Honolulu. Most of Oahu is rural.

Pick up a good travel guide or two for Oahu and a good map. Start reading down through the Oahu Forum daily for great information and tips. We talk about activities and restaurants all the time, and the trip reports and itineraries are helpful as well.

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hyatt Regency

It's a good property. But note: The higher up your room, the less street noise you'll get.

There's TONS of shopping in walking distance from your hotel. Literally more store than you could set foot in during your trip. And there's even better shopping a short drive away. So if shopping is a priority for you, you need to plan it.

Ala Moana Center, which is a tad too far to walk, is one of the most popular shopping destinations. Beautiful, huge, and fun. Devise a shopping strategy and prioritize.

Re touristy stuff to do: The No. 1 thing for a Waikiki visitor to do is see the island outside of Waikiki. It's very, very different in the rest of the island -- lush, unspoiled. And very beautiful. The "Circle Island Tour" in a rental car is a top itinerary item.

Pearl Harbor is a must, too.

Other than that, there are too many things to list. Start thinking about what you want to do (history, nature, waterfalls, snorkeling, beaches, dining, luaus, on and on.) Then we can help you with specific questions.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hyatt Regency

Here are a couple of trip reports involving much shopping info from fellow Aussies -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k331447…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k402105…

One from me, too -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60982-i38-k401943…

Waikele Premium Outlets is one location Aussies tend to love for extra cheap bargains.

Ward Warehouse has a great Sports Authority, Ross Dress for Less, and some really lovely other stores.

Ala Moana is a place you will get to know well, Macys in particular is one of my favourites. :)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
705 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hyatt Regency

The rooms are lovely, they have a small fridge and a great little coffee maker. Pool services will give you beach chairs for the beach for the day if you ask. They have massages around the pool at certain times and bring out ice blocks during the day if you are lounging around the pool. Excellent breakfast but expensive if its not included in your room rate. Ask for a room away from elevators. Dont catch the trolly to the shopping mall it takes far too long, catch a cab. Watch the fireworks of The Hilton every Friday night Have fun.

Edited: 17 March 2013, 19:28
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hyatt Regency

<<Dont catch the trolly to the shopping mall it takes far too long, catch a cab.>>

While I agree that I would avoid the Trolley - you can catch the city bus a couple blocks behind the Hyatt and take it to the Ala Moana Center. Then spring for a cab on the way back - when your arms are full of packages and your feet are draggin'.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hyatt Regency

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, very much appreciated. By the way Scottca075 we refers to myself and my husband both mid 40, and leaving adult children at home.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,599 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hyatt Regency

Brisbanite723 - we have decided to leave our adult children at home too....until they cough up for the airfare and hotel room. But, we are going to pay for the grandchildren to come with us !!

Sure hope the parents can make it.

Ocean Grove...
Level Contributor
44 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hyatt Regency

We stayed here in January 2011 got great rate my mother is travel agent and got upgraded to ocean view on 35th floor.Rooms are big and clean.We went back to waikiki last xmas and I did the oahu photography tour best tour I have done in waikiki.