We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping the bartender

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,165 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping the bartender

To answer questions from a previous now closed thread, yes you tip bartenders when you are sitting at the bar. If you are paying for each drink as you go along, then you can tip each time. Or you can wait until the end and leave the money on the bar by your glass. They will know what it's for.

If you are running a tab and paying the bill at the end, then you tip on the entire amount at that time (cash or credit card) just like you would for a meal served at a table.

aloha, suze

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,358 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping the bartender

We always run a tab - much easier to then tip at the end.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,400 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping the bartender

I'll stick with this answer.

If you are drinking beer or wine it doesn't really matter.

If you are sitting at the bar, drinking mixed drinks and you tip after every drink and tip well there is a chance of getting a stiffer drink from the bartender, not always because bigger bars these days are so mechanized that "well" drinks are controlled by computers and mete out the alcohol meagerly.

"Call" drinks (where you call the liquor you want, i.e. Tanqueray & tonic vs gin & tonic) are still poured from bottles so it is up to the bartenders discretion how to pour it.

Pleasanton...
Level Contributor
271 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping the bartender

Scott,

Hate to break it to you, but there is an electronic option for all bottles, not just well brands. You put the neck of the bottle into this loop, and then pour. The electronic loop device controls how much liquor goes into the glass.

The good news is, most bars don't use this technology. It makes them look really cheap, like they don't want to give you an extra drop. Or it makes them look like they don't trust their bartenders.

Either way, I don't patronize bars that I see using this technology.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
1,200 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping the bartender

If you tip 20% after every drink, the drinks get better and better.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,026 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping the bartender

They had to close that thread, Suze. Joan1 was going postal.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping the bartender

Pago........that's what I remember from my drinking days! Exactly. :-))) Deb

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping the bartender

Pago, sometimes the glasses also get bigger. I once got a Mai Tai in what looked like a Big Gulp cup. I got stink eye from some tourists with their tiny happy hour drinks. Tipping works!

Another tipping "tip" that I like to share is to tip a valet when you drop off your car, not just when you pick it up. I only do this when I'm worried about where my car is parked or if I know I'll want it ready right away when I'm going to leave. I learned this one, by accident, at a company holiday party in Boston. Not knowing better, I tipped the valet generously when I dropped off my car. "I'll have it waiting for you right here at the end of the party, sir." At the end of the party, while we're standing in line for the valet, he sees me, pulls me out of line, in front of my boss and his boss, and says, "your car is ready, sir, have a great night." Priceless!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping the bartender

We tip generously on the first drink, and then run a tab. We are served well and in a timely manner. Then at the end of the night we tip on the remaining tab. We usually belly up to the bar and talk to the bartender, actually listening to them and their wonderful stories, rather then sharing ours. Please and Thank you go a long way too. Man, people can be sooooooo rude to the wait staff.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,400 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping the bartender

If you keep drinking mai tais everything in life looks better around numbers 4, 5 and 6......

PS >>>Hate to break it to you, but there is an electronic option for all bottles, not just well brands. You put the neck of the bottle into this loop, and then pour. The electronic loop device controls how much liquor goes into the glass.<<<

I know this technology exists, I've seen them, but like you, I don't bother ordering mixed drinks then, I stick to beer and wine by the bottle.

Edited: 20 March 2013, 22:21
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping the bartender

Scott, you said << If you are drinking beer or wine it doesn't really matter.>>

Well, if all you care about is getting a stronger drink next time, yes.

But perhaps you care that the bartender is a person trying to make a living. Do you only tip in order to get something back? If that were the case I'd think you would be stiffing the server every time you went to a place where you didn't intend to return. And I'd never believe that of you. Can you explain?

Aloha

Teri