We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Topic
Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

Hi All,

I'm planning to go to Oahu Sept. 20th-27th with my gf and maybe up to 2 more couples.

If only us, we plan to spend $120/night via VRBO. I used to live in San Diego and was a beach rat maybe 20 years ago, so I'd like to get a condo on the beach, preferably with small waves to sponge, otherwise, minutes away. If no waves, we would like a beautiful condo beach or one we can snorkel??

It would also be great if the condo was near other scenic, cultural or other places that we could visit maybe riding a bike.

I would like to workout (run, TRX, stretch) and enjoy/absorb this amazing island.

We live in Dallas, Tx,... You should get the idea.

Please advise which North Shore area would be best for the above.

It would be awesome if you could generalize each area: Punaluu, Waimea, Sunset Beach, Kawela, etc.

Thanks for you time!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,368 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

The north shore, Waimea, and Sunset would be my first pick for what you want to do. I do need to tell you the surf starts picking up in late September/ early October. It's the best area on the island to snorkel but we don't plan on snorkeling up there beginning the 1st of October thru late May.

Punaluu is also nice, not nearly as good to snorkel but there is some reef and the surf shouldn't be a problem. You may get more rain showers here though. Punaluu is not on the north shore.

Kawela will be the same as Waimea or Sunset and will also have the same conditions. You should be able to snorkel the cove at Turtle Bay but it's just mediocre.

Edited: 03 April 2013, 19:35
Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

MsFuzz,

Thanks for your all your info. Waimea looks a little more expensive and Sunset only had a few.

There are also Haleiwa & Ehukai which seemed pretty close everything, no?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,109 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

The only one of your choices where I have actually stayed is Punaluu, in the "Pat's at Punaluu" condo complex. Loved it there. Beautiful sunrise views over the ocean and gentle surf for swimming due to aforementioned offshore reef. We liked the pokey little towns and beaches all along the shoreline. Nice day trips within 30-60 minute drive. The weather goddess smiled on us as it was glorious all week (March).

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

There is an outside possibility that I can talk my husband into an August trip to Oahu so I've been searching for condos and vacation rentals on the North Shore. There are many on VRBO. Here is a favorite I found:

http://www.vrbo.com/63061

Perfect if you visit with your friends!

Oahu is very easy to travel around to see the sights, so you don't really have to worry about being far from cultural activities. I understand there is a bike path in the Sunset Beach area, but others may have better knowledge of this. Scenic? All of Oahu is gorgeous; be sure to do a circle island tour and some day hikes.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

Here is one in Waimea not on the beach but close and it is legal.

www.vrbo.com/73249

Way to go ddffpp another trip this year!!

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

Just came back from staying in Haleiwa. Great little town. Close to everything you'd need. The other places mentioned you'd need to drive around to get to stores or restaurants, and the traffic heading north from Haleiwa is crowded/stop & go no matter the time of day.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
18,122 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

UNCMOM2011: It's a pretty big If at this point!

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

Hi Loves2travel71,

Did Haleiwa have bike trails?? I noticed via VRBO, none of the condos provided bikes but had all

the beach gear. Did the beaches near Haleiwa have ride-able waves??

It looks like Sunset, Waimea or Haleiwa are the contenders!

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
44 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

We stayed in a beach house on Mokuleia Beach (Crozier Dr.). Lots of ride-able waves out front of our place and anywhere else we went. You are going at the end of the summer season when the waves are calmer but still good. Not the 20-30 waves you see at the Pipeline surfing competitions, but still nice.

As for bike paths, there are tons around the area. One started just off the end of the road we were on and continued all through Haleiwa and north up the coast. Google Haleiwa bike paths and it comes up with tons of info. There is a place in town that rents bikes and you can get a coupon off their Facebook page. North Shore Bike Rentals. We didn't end up renting any bikes this trip as we were doing more water activities instead. The bikes in Oahu are beach cruisers, very different from the 10-speeds or mountain bikes we're used to on the mainland. Built for sand cruising, not speed.

Either of the places you've chosen are great and you'll have a wonderful time!

Seattle
Level Contributor
21 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need North Shore condo advice: Punaluu, Waimea Bay, Sunset B

I have stayed a few times is Haleiwa. Our favorite place on the island. I have stayed at Hale Kaupe, which I found on VRBO. It was across from beach, easy walk to town, had bikes, and was less than $800 per week. Great place. I also stayed at Secret Garden. It would be good for two couples. Bigger. Not very close to the beach, but perfect. The hosts are amazing and you are surrounded by palm trees. The walk to town is only about 5 minutes.