We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

I have just read on the KHON2 website the following report:

"Walmart has officially announced plans to open an 80,000 square foot retail store in the former Macy’s site in Downtown Honolulu."

Good news!

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

Well, I guess it will add jobs for folks that could use them. That is a positive.

But I just can't seem to get excited about Walmart opening a new store.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

Well it's good new for anyone looking for a public restroom in downtown Honolulu. Since the close of Macy's have you attempted to find one nearby? :-)

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

This is the KHON article:

khon2.com/2013/…

I mostly like WalMart & shop there often.

For AlandRoberta:

Most times when a new business plans an opening or an existing business plans for an expansion, they will always claim it creates so many jobs.

In this case, they didn't quite claim that, but most will think they implied that they did.

"The new Honolulu store is expected to employ approximately 150 associates. Full- and part-time positions will be available in areas throughout the store, including sales, customer service, pharmacy, and inventory management."

My thoughts:

Some areas, but very few, actually do gain the jobs they claim to add or create.

But for the most part:

If I have $200 per month for recreation, dining, etc., and I spend some of it in at a new business, other businesses will get less & reduce their employees by almost an equal amount.

So just because a new business, a new restaurant, or a sports arena, etc., opens, it may not equate to jobs created.

Seattle
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

"The new Honolulu store is expected to employ approximately 150 associates. Full- and part-time positions will be available in areas throughout the store, including sales, customer service, pharmacy, and inventory management."

The Walmart statement is fair enough. They don't claim these will be newly created jobs in the overall economy.

The more interesting question is what is the economic dynamic as it relates to jobs.

I would submit that some number of folks will find better employment at Walmart than in the absence of the new store. The evidence for this will be found in the ratio of applicants to openings. Watch the news.

I would also submit that, at the margin, some number of new jobs will in fact be created somewhere in the economy.

I would urge you to consider that this is not a zero sum game in which income spent at the new store comes, dollar for dollar and job for job out of income spent elsewhere.

Al~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited: 06 April 2013, 07:48
Hana, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,062 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

Would my tone appear too sarcastic if I said, I can envision a future "shootout" scene on the new "Hawaii Five-O", filmed in the men's section of this new Walmart?

We all know how much Wo Fat loves a good deal on Aloha shirts! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btHA5PRxOV0

Edited: 06 April 2013, 21:27
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,610 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

Yep, posted it yesterday.

7. Re: Walmart coming to Downtown Honolulu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2014, 06:17