We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

celebrating 50th birthday

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
celebrating 50th birthday

Hi

My partner and I will be celebrating our 50th birthdays jointly next Sept/Oct (2014) and want to start planning our trip to Hawaii (Oahu) for this. We are hoping to get a group of people together for this, so will need to give them all the details in advance for planning. However, we want to know if there are any good places to have a traditional "luau" on the beach to have a beachside party/or overlooking the ocean alternatively. Also, if you can recommend any good musicians/dj/band that we could book for the occasion. There are approx 40, maybe 50 guests.

Thanks

Hawaii 5-0

Edited: 09 April 2013, 14:56
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

You want a private luau? You are bringing 50 people from Australia?

I would use a travel agent, and I would pick a nice hotel that would cater a luau and provide entertainment as a private party. Somewhere like the Royal Hawaiian. This will cost you big bucks.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 16:50
Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

Thanks for that, good info... will have a look.. If anyone knows of any catering companies who would come to a house and do a private luau party that would be a better option? Any suggestions of catering companies?

cheers

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

This is not something most of us have any experience in, Tracy. I don't know if we can give you the information you are looking for, and I'm not sure where to point you either.

What I think you would need to do is pair up with a hotel who can have a function for you - it is almost like a wedding, only without a bride etc. So if you contact some of the hotels and ask questions about private functions and private luaus combined with accommodation packages that might be a good starting point.

BLBL suggested the Royal Hawaiian which is certainly an excellent choice. Other brands of hotel you could maybe try contacting - Hyatt, Marriott, Hilton, Sheraton, Outrigger.

Bolton, United...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale
Level Contributor
7,934 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

Good luck in your quest! We celebrated my husbands 50th in Waikiki and I had real difficulty even getting a cake delivered to the hotel we stayed at. I found a bakery that would do it by googling bakeries Oahu, so perhaps if you googled caters Oahu the answer might pop up. I must add that we were staying at a Holiday Inn so the option of asking the hotel to sort it didn't exist for me. I hope you have a fantastic time.

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,503 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

From our own experiences of 7 stays in Hawaii, Vacation enjoyment is inveresly proportional to the number of travelling companions. Best of luck.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

I was thinking about your situation last night. I think you need to work your way through it.

1) Determine your dates. Your BD, I know - but what time before or after.

2) Let your friends know what you are planning and get an idea of how many may be interested. They need to give you some definite answers/commitments before you move too far forward.

3) Devise a budget. Are you hosting all these people? Are you finding accomodations for all of them? Is each paying his/her own way - and invited to the party that you are throwing?

4) Do you want to use a hotel/resort? Although expensive, their meeting planners could take most of the work off your hands. And you would have other activities to keep your guests entertained. The hotel would deal with the food and the entertainment! Understand that if your event is at a beach-side hotel, the hotel will control who caters, whether themselves or a company on their approved list. Same with entertainment.

5) Are you considering a house on the beach? A completely different story - and all your guests would need lodging somewhere ... and transportation. Many Aussies don't like to drive in the U.S. I would not attempt this ...

6) There are plenty of caterers and event planners on Oahu! And there are a number of ways that I can recommend to find them ... but you are not "there" yet in your planning.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,922 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

Try this company for a private luau:

http://tihati.com/conventions.php

New Zealand
Level Contributor
705 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

I would go to Kauai and do it all there! Not the crowds and lovely beaches.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

We haven't heard from Tracy lately. Sticker-shock? (American term used when people realize how expensive something is.)

10. Re: celebrating 50th birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 07:18