We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Is there a place to buy good quality green Hawaiian coffee beans? We have a car and can travel if needed.

If not, any ideas go buy high quality local roasted beans to take home?

Finally, any really good coffee places around?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,192 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Peterpel, I've not seen green coffee on Oahu. I think you'd need to go to Big Island, Maui, Kauai or Molokai and visit the coffee farms to buy greens. If you're heading to Maui or Big Island, I can give you some recommendations. Also, if you want to order green coffee, you can go to sweetmarias.com. They have one Kona coffee in stock right now (an excellent one) and they have other lots from Kona and Kau that pop up during the year.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Just as a side bar: If you can find green beans, and are interested, they will grow into a great indoor/winter outdoor/summer plant if you plant two or three in a pot. Beautiful green leaves.

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,251 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

We have been to the farmers market on saturday at Kapiolani Community College and Keopu Farms from the Big Island has been there selling their coffee. They are also at the thursday afternoon one in Kailua.

I have never seen green coffee beans but also have never looked for any.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Thanks. Stayed in Kona on my last trip to Hawaii, so this time it is strictly Oahu. Love the Kona coffee, and the green beans I purchase online do not compare.

I have heard to Sweat Maria's. Very famous and very good. Shipping to Toronto is very expensive, so I buy green beans from a local supplier.

What about a very good roasted place to purchase whole beans? Looking for something a little more special than Starbucks, which funnily enough did not serve Kona coffee during my last trip to Hawaii...

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,825 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Koko Crater Coffee Roasters is in the Marukai Market Place‎ at Ward's. They also sell at the KCC Farmer's Market on Saturday.

If you are saying you want to roast your own beans, I am sure that they would sell you beans unroasted.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
15,420 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

I'm no authority, but can you get green coffee beans at any time of year? It seems to me they won't be available unless the beans are ripening on the trees. Once picked, that's it! I buy my coffee from a Big Island grower who does have green coffee available, but I only get the sun-dried (i.e, roasted) myself. Here's the website:

http://www.smithfarms.com/

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,926 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

There is also coffee and cacao grown on Oahu up on the north shore. Check this out!!

waialuaestate.com/index.html

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,825 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

So I am no expert either..... but aren't all coffee beans green before they are roasted??

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,399 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

Aloha,

I'm thinking that a ripe coffee bean is red

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
381 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Green coffee beans and other coffee questions.

The green beans are dried in the sun after ripening and the outer shell is removed. It is the nut of the fruit and consists of 2 equal size parts, Green beans (unroasted) can last for many years, like lentils. Roasted beans only last about 1 week which is why quite often coffee tastes bitter.

Roasting at home on a Saturday morning and then grinding and drinking is like a little holiday every week :)

Coming to Hawaii and being so close to Kona would be a shame if I could not enjoy this wonderfully unique coffee experience.

Many thanks to all, 4 weeks to go!