We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waikiki April 11-18th.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Waikiki April 11-18th.

Well just got back and here are a few quick thoughts on our Hawaii vacation.

Visit was 3rd for my 16 yr old daughter, and 1st for her friend who came with us , though friend had been to Maui before.

Visit was my 10th.

First off, I have to say I feel it will likely be my last visit to Waikiki.. next time Maui( I have visit Kaui once before also). . I think I am burnt out of the big city beach resort thing..

Accomadation: We stayed at the Outrigger on the Beach, second time. We had a "city view" room ( 709) but ocean view was very good from our small balcony. Room was nice, and we enjoyed our stay there . We loved the pool patio , not the area immediately around the small pool, but the patio that is just a step off the beach,, great view of beach, comfy lounge chairs and pool service whats not to like.

Sightseeing: We enjoyed visiting Pearl Harbour very much. We took taxi there because we slept in , so took taxi to get there by 8:15 . We had no tickets for the Arizona but simply walked in and got some for 9:30, we enjoyed the time before the visit to the Arizona by renting the audio guides and visiting the museum, very very interesting. Audio guides are 7:50 and worth it we thought.

We took public bus back to Waikiki and were back at the beach before noon.

We met some friends who rented a car and did an island loop drive. Stopped at the usual places ( blow hole , north shore , Dole Plantation etc). We had very bad weather that day though so basically just jumped out for quick visits and photos. We did stop on north shore at a random beach and saw a sea turtle on beach. We also stopped at Giovannis Shrimp truck, long long wait for food but it was excellent.. hard to find seating because pouring rain had about 100 people cramming under the covered area..

At Dole we just picked up some snacks and souvenirs, dried coconut, popcorn etc, so yummy.

We took the public bus to Hanauma Bay one day. Arrived late ( its hard getting teenagers up early) at about 11, but had no issues with crowds really. Had a nice afternoon snorkling. Brought our own snacks and drinks.. good idea when visiting Hanauma Bay as there is no concession on beach at all.

Walked to Diamond Head from our hotel , climbed up , from trail head to top and back in 45 minutes, walk there another 45 or so, took a shuttle back to Waikiki. LOL Note , girls got worst burn that day and it was cloudy and even rained.. We love the hike the view is worth it .

Dining in Waikiki: Best breakfasts: Dukes and Shorebirds Buffets, nod to Dukes for the made to order Omlet station. Had a coupon for Shorebirds which brought price down to about 13 dollars each. A good deal as it includes coffee and juices , often expensive extras at some other places. Dukes was 16 dollars but it was so good we didn't begrudge it , Worse breakfast was at Ihop.. Can't serve a decent cup of tea, pancakes were heavy and not tasty.. juice was expensive. We basically thought it was awful.

Best dinners, Dukes, and Chucks.. We had the best meal at Dukes .. but Chucks was a good steak house, limited menu, very basic salad bar, but steaks were perfect. Dukes had a much superior salad bar and so many excellent entrée choices. We had ahi tuna and mahi mahi,, delish. Worst dinner: PFChangs,, too much deep fried stuff for our tastes and sweet sauces, was our worst dinner, but was not horrible,.

Lunches were had at a variety of places, there is a great place for fish tacos on Kuhio, near the Subway. Had good ceasar salads by pool at hotel, Dukes appys a few times.. and Paridise Cheeseburgers. We thought Paradise CB was just ok,, frankly overpriced , and I make better .

One surprise place we went to and I cannot remember name,, but it had the BEST stuffed banana French toast EVER.. we even went back for dinner and it was darn good too.. it was on main drag near the zoo up the stairs, someone must remember the name, maybe lulus or something.

Our visits was nice , but frankly I am a bit sick of ABC stores, garbage on streets( Waikiki was ok but bus stop near Pearl harbour was disgusting, tons of trash piled around. AND WORST of all was the dozens and dozens of water bottles we saw on top of Diamond Head that pigs throw over the top and are impossible for staff to retrieve safely. PIGS. you can carry it up full but its too hard to carry down empty? We are not big shoppers so I think if you are a shopper Waikiki is more your speed now then mine.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

joan1 -thanks for your report. You almost got our room !! We stay in room 711 which is the one next door to yours, and we agree the view is pretty good for a "city view" room. Use to take our teen daughters there and they would never stay anywhere else.

We have been to Maui and Kauai several times each over the years as well, but we keep returning to Oahu almost every year for about 25 years now. I guess we are just city people but love the views of Waikiki Beach and the water.

Actually, our favorite place in Oahu is Chuck's Steakhouse because the food is decent, and you can get such a wonderful view of Diamond Head and the beach without the hassle of other places. We are also big fans of Shorebird and do the happy hour a couple times while there and always eat their at least once as well.

We are going in a few weeks and staying at the Marriott this time, but will still make Chuck's and Shorebird, and definitely we will be at Dukes on Sunday afternoon for Henry Kapono !!

Thanks for your report.

Aloha

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

Hi Joan1, thanks for a great report. Sorry to hear that you may never return to Waikiki again. This year will be my fourteenth trip, I guess each to their own.

Can you tell me where Chucks Steakhouse is? I know I have been to Chucks Cellars, so guess this must be at different restaurant.

I have to agree about people throwing rubbish away instead of taking it back to their rooms. It's not like their are not any rubbish bins in Hawaii.

Thanks again.

John.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

john - Chuck's Steakhouse (same company as Chuck's Cellar) is located on the second floor of the Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach hotel. It is just above Dukes and next to the Hula Grill. They have a happy hour from 5 to 6 and make a good mai-tai, and have great tables that offer beautiful views.

We are with you. We never tire of Waikiki.

Aloha

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

Thanks placebets for your quick reply. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who loves this beautiful Island.

John.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
623 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

Thanks placebets for your quick reply. Nice to know that I'm not the only one who loves this beautiful Island.

John.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
3,783 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

Hi Joan, welcome back home. I am hoping that you will give Waikiki another chance............. I have now put Chucks on my must go to list

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,670 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

flippr - we like to get there for their early bird specials. We usually split the teriyaki chicken entrée and get a side order of sautéed mushrooms. It is a full chicken breast (both sides) and is more than enough for the two of us to eat, and comes with a great dipping sauce. She eats the salad bar (which is not fantastic but O.K.) and we split the rice, chicken and mushrooms.

Can't wait to eat there ourselves soon.

Aloha

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

Oh didn't mention this but its pretty important..

Since I had a friend join us for 2 days we decided to research "best mai tai".

Royal Hawaiian-most expensive( think it was 12 bucks) , ,and only so so we wouldn't recommend it at all.

Rumrunners at Shereton- 10 bucks , view was worth it, but drink was average tasting.

Jimmy Buffets- can't recall price, too "fake" tasting, but boozy

Dukes- Just right, 9 bucks, but tasty... great views, and good drink!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,293 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

Thanks for sharing the results of your research. I was trying to decide where to go for our first night in town and you just tipped the scale in favour of Dukes. It looks like we might have to pay a visit to Chucks as well.

Thanks also for the honest trip report. I love the idea of walking from Waikiki to Diamond Head. Hopefully someone will help with the name of the restaurant that had the stuffed French Toast. That sounds amazing.

I think Maui is a great choice if you are looking for a little less hustle and bustle. If you have been to Waikiki 10 times, why not get out and check out some of the other islands. When/if you decide to head back to Oahu there are plenty of places to stay other than Waikiki.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
22,102 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waikiki April 11-18th.

I agree Maui may be next visit, the young lady with us kept going on and on about it, and our friends we met up with were definitely Maui comparers( it was actually a bit annoying, since we were not in Maui and making the best of where we were!) .

I have been Kaui once years ago and found it a bit too quiet for a week long stay , its beautiful though, I think Maui may be a great compromise.