We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

Bay area, Ca
Level Contributor
29 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

Okay so here it is what I have so far, a big hole is dinner and food places to go... but let me know what you think...

Sunday June 4: 9am - Oak airport

*10:55 am depart on flight OAK to HNL

*1:15 pm arrive at HNL get bags and catch shuttle to hotel

*ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel check-in

*3:30 pm relax, and get checked in

Ideas for dinner:

Ideas for evening: $15.00 sunset cruise near Outrigger,

Shopping at International Mall, walking on beach

Monday June 5: Breakfast served at 6:30am-9:30am downstairs on pool deck

*Rent Car go to the North Shore

*Lunch: Shrimp Van near Northshore at Kahuku

Giovanni’s Shrimp Truck (see attachment)

AND

Matsumoto's shaved ice

66-087 Kamehameha Hwy.

Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712

*Dinner: Duke’s at the Outrigger

Tuesday June 6: Breakfast served at 6:30am-9:30am downstairs on pool deck

*Use Rental car again to explore beaches and island and

These points of interest:

*Lunch:

*Dinner:

Wednesday June 7: Breakfast served at 6:30am-9:30am downstairs

Snack: Leonard’s Bakery

Try the Malasadas

Return Rental Car

Lunch:

Spend the day local around the Waikiki Beach area and

Relaxing

Dinner: Luau at Paradise Cove

Thursday: Leave for airport at 10:00 am check in bags

* 11:55 am departure

Arrive in Oakland 7:50 pm

California
Level Contributor
4 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

On your Tuesday travels, I'd consider Pearl Harbor if you've never been and have any interest in the site. You'd want to get there early, as it fills up quickly and there can be long waits. While at that site, I found the Bowfin Submarine fascinating and enjoyed crawling through the guts of a WWII submarine.

Not into the military thing? With an early start and some physical ability, the trip to Diamond Head Crater is rewarding. I went early in the morning before the heat would have made it very difficult. It's a bit harder than what the tourist books make it out to be, but I'm not all that athletic and did just fine.

Not into hiking? Well, how about a park and walk around Honolulu's Chinatown? Unless you cannot stand other cultures, you could easily spend a couple of hours wandering around.

Try and time lunch for any of these activities so that you're on the South side of Oahu. I can recommend Nicco's Pier 38 for a casual lunch that will knock your sandles off if you like fresh fish dishes. It's located off Nimitz Hwy at Pier 39 (there are signs where you have to turn). Nicco's is next door to the wholesale fish market (you can peek inside there for a few minutes), so his fish was likely caught the night before. It's outdoor under a patio, so plan on informal, but priced right and really good. He's a trained classic chef. Or, if you want something a bit more off the beaten path, try Las Marinias off San Island Road. Take the Nimitz and turn at Sand Island Road...follow it for about a third of a mile, look for a sign that sends you on a side road to the resaturant. It's decorated in old Hawaii fashion, run by an older woman who still shows up every day, and the food is pretty good and reasonable. You'll have a view of a small boat marina and you can talk to the parrot in the entryway.

None of this strike your fancy. Then head Diamond Head (east) and spend part of a day in Kailua. The beach is rated as one of the best in the world. Kailua town has lots of places to eat. Feeling somewhat fancy? Try Haliewa Joes on that side of the island. It's located in its own botanical garden. And while your on that side of the island, go ahead and visit the Valley of the Temples.

That should keep you busy. And when you go to Leonard's, try the cocconut filled malasada. It's my favorite. Don't try and eat more than two or three. You'll get stuffed real fast. But, yummmmm, they're good.

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

Ok. You asked what "we" think. With all kindness meant and no hostility, I really think you are way over planning. You kids are on a vacation, yes? What you have planned looks like not a vacation but a mission...a conquest. Don't over plan. Don't over think.. Be a travler, not a tourist. Throw away your day planner or PDA and just have FUN. Take care. Chuck

Level Contributor
239 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

I might recommend Tiki's or the Hula Grill for dinner. Both are good food, hawaiian decor and music, and good places to sit and enjoy the surroundings, and watch people. I think your plans sound good, and I agree with the suggestions made in the first reply. They offered several good ideas, and for driving and exploring, stop by the Pali Look out, the views are awesome. Have a great time.

southern cal
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

I agree with Chuck. As long as you use your schedule as a guide, and take things as they come and you'll do just fine.

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

Try to make it to Hanauma Bay and Diamond Head. Just got back 10 days ago and I thought we would have time to do much more. Traffic is pretty annoying!! Took the bus to Diamond Head. What a view! We drove to Hanauma Bay and Pearl Harbor but we did not take the Pearl Harbor tour. Just walked around outside & took some pictures. Not too big on history. We all took a surf lesson, if you do this, check brochures for coupons. The restaurants we went to were the Cheesecake Factory, Cheeseburger in Paradise and Oceanarium. All were great! We stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki on the beach. Perfect. Have a great time.

Lubbock, TX
Level Contributor
725 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

I must respectfully disagree with BlackbeltDan and Hawaiibound2, who think you're packing in too much. Sunday's pretty packed, but still doable. Monday is basically breakfast, drive to the north shore for lunch & dessert, then back by dinner. Tuesday is just breakfast then explore the island. Wednesday is breakfast and lazing about Waikiki with Paradise Cove for dinner.

I agree with the sentiment that you should have lots of flexibility and relax and enjoy the island. Spending a lot of time finding the best restaurants or the best beaches will really detract from your enjoyment. Do a search in this forum on restaurants and you'll find there are tons of restaurants that offer a very good meal. I'd recommend something in Waikiki or easy to find, such as Kakaako Kitchen, Alan Wong's, or even the food court at the Ala Moana shopping center. You will find it takes longer to get places than you might think, given the short distances - it's partly the traffic, partly the overwhelming desire to pull over and stare or explore.

Also, I think you should leave your hotel no later than 9:30 for the airport on Thursday.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
367 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

Justmarried - your itinerary sounds similar to the one we had last summer. I think you're fine - traffic can be pretty hectic though so you have to allow for that. I think it's great to have a plan for what you want to do, you just have to be flexible. I always plan an itinerary before we leave for vacation - we don't always do everything on the list, but at least we don't sit around and wonder what to do next.

UK
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

Too organised for me!!!

I can't believe you have planned when you are going to have shaved ice....................................

ENJOY!!!!

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,873 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

I think your itinerary is very doable. I always have a rough idea as to what I like to see/do; great if I get to do all on the list, or else there's always next trip.

You might want to check out Lanikai Beach and Kailua Beach on one of your round island days. Try sea kayaking in Kailua. Try snorkeling at Hanauma Bay (closed Tuesday) or Sharks Cove or 3 Tables. You can rent snorkeling gear at Snorkel Bob's (on Kapahulu close to Leonard's Bakery) or there's also a rental plance inside Hanauma Bay (for use in Hanauma Bay).

I like going to Chinatown for dim sum or pho for lunch. Hy's Steak House for dinner if you like steak.

Knoxville
Level Contributor
123 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Please review my travel plans and make suggestions... only...

I agree with having a planned itinerary while still being flexible. I was only in Hawaii one other time, on business, but we did have 2 free days. We rented a car and drove around aimlessly, and though the landscape was beautiful, I had no idea where we should go or what we should see. Plus, Hawaii is a major financial investment for someone like me, so though I don't want to get too anal with scheduling, I DO want to have a plan to get the most bang for my buck. I love forums because people with much experience give us advice, so we aren't suckered in to whatever attraction/eatery/activity just has the flashiest advertising, or the most travel agents pushing it.