We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

Hi All,

We are regular visitors to Waikiki and normally stay at the Moana Surfrider or Royal Hawaiian in the tower with an ocean view. We're currently looking at dates for August and the room that normally costs us around between $400-$500/night with tax is currently at somewhere around the $600+ night with tax which is just too expensive. We are currently looking at the Outrigger Waikiki (next to the Moana) as an alternative as it's quite a bit cheaper (around $450 night inc tax).

Wondering is anybody has stayed at both that can provide a comparison between the two and whether or not the Moana is really worth the extra $200/night?

I'll keep an eye out on the Moana rate in the mean time but would like to lock something in for piece of mind (even if I cancel later on)

Many thanks, Ben

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach is a great alternative for anyone who doesn't want to pony up for Moana Surfrider. Outrigger's rooms are bigger than many Moana rooms. But overall the property is less wow. It's a long, narrow slice of building crammed between two others.

It'll feel a little downmarket compared to Moana, but it's still a fine property.

If I were you, I would first look at all the photos on Oyster.com, then I would go ahead and book a fully refundable room at Outrigger Waikiki and keep scoping deals for Moana.

(P.S. I've stayed at Moana and Outrigger Reef on the Beach -- never actually stayed at Outrigger Waikiki -- for what it's worth. But I have been to the property quite a few times.)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,936 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

If I was being asked to pay $600 a night I'd be at Halekulani not the Moana or Royal Hawaiian, I don't think either is worth $600+.

Besides the Outrigger Waikiki I'd look at the Outrigger Reef and Hyatt Regency.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,599 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

Rates are definitely going up this year. I think they are filling the rooms up too !!

I've stayed at all 3 and now I pretty much stick with the Outrigger Waikiki. I can't tell the difference in the "wow" between any of them as far as the rooms go, and we move around between all 3 when we are there.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 02:16
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

bizjournals.com/pacific/…

I thought you would like to see this.

Take a look at the Outrigger Reef as well. The Hyatt - the resort fee and parking fee are awful.

Remember, that although you may be staying at the Outrigger Waikiki:

+ you can still sit under the banyan tree, eat, drink and shop at the Moana Surfrider.

+ the Outrigger Waikiki has a much nicer pool.

+ you are SO much closer to Duke's and Hula Grill! :o)

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,599 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

BLBL - thanks for the post because I was under the impression that occupancy rates were way up. The GM at the Outrigger told me that the Japanese were way off since the earthquake, but that the Chinese tourism was growing at a really rapid pace.

So I appreciate you showing that article.

And, I agree, the Moana Bar is a very short walk !!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

Thanks for all of the replies! Ok, so I'll go ahead and book something in at the Outrigger Waikiki and check in every now and then with the rates for the Moana. The Moana is pretty special to us and we love everything about it (right down to Mai Tai's in under the Banyan tree and the even the smell of the green soap they provide) but it's just not practical at the moment. I prefer the location of the Outrigger Waikiki over the Outrigger Reef. We've been harassed a few times on Lewers St by timeshare people (and timeshare people posing as information booths!) so Kalakaua Ave is where it's at for us.

We have stayed at the Hyatt before and it was pretty nice (but very big) and we prefer something right on the beach, we've also stayed at the Sheraton Waikiki but again the Hotel is very big and I think it lacks character.

Thanks again for the replies.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
50,936 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

>>>We've been harassed a few times on Lewers St by timeshare people (and timeshare people posing as information booths!) so Kalakaua Ave is where it's at for us. <<<

Curious when you were last on Lewers? I remember a few tour/timeshare types these a little in the old days, but nothing like they were on Kalakaua (along with the guys with birds on their shoulders), but I haven't seen anything solicitors on the new Lewers.

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,599 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

scottca - there are some (2 that I remember) little gazebo type places on the Yardhouse side and up on the walkway, that give the appearance of "information" booths, that are not really that. I can't remember for sure who they were pushing, but they were offering great deals on activities if I remember. Then they were trying to get you to a timeshare or travel club presentation. They are almost unnoticeable, and certainly don't keep me from Lewers Street. They have been there as long as I can remember the new Beachwalk area, and as recently as last October.

They are not "in your face" operations like the ones on Kalakua.

Currituck, North...
Level Contributor
369 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

We were in Waikiki 2 weeks ago & every time we walked up Lewers St. We were approached

by "timeshare people". They would follow us half way up the block trying to talk to us.

There was also a couple of places on Kuhio near IMP same thing.

California
Level Contributor
573 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moana Surfrider vs Outrigger Waikiki

I also recall the timeshare people on Lewers near the Yardhouse. Best to just ignore them & not make eye contact. Yes, they are not as forceful in their approach as the Kalakaua ones.