We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

Fitchburg...
Level Contributor
657 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

We will be staying at the Waikiki Banyan - but we are making a trip to the Big Island. Given we are leaving in the morning and have to drive to the airport during rush hour traffic, and I hear that its very bad. How much time will it take us to get to the airport? Our flight leaves for Hilo at 8:20am, on a Wedneday. Is leaving at 6:00 am enough time?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki Banyan
Waikiki Banyan
542 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

I think I would want to be at the airport by 6 . . . book Hawaii23 for your shuttle to the airport - if you told them when you had to be at the airport, they would tell you what time you needed to be picked up. :)

Fitchburg...
Level Contributor
657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

We have a rental car, so we were planning on driving ourselves and parking it at the airport overnight.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,226 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

sorry - misunderstood that you were driving yourself - and that you are returning to Oahu. I think rush hour starts a bit later - after you are at the airport, so I think you just need to concern yourself with the driving time to the airport. Have fun on the Big Island! :)

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Fitchburg...
Level Contributor
657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

so how long does it take to get to the airport, about? From Waikiki , an hour? 30 minutes? 10 minutes?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,869 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

Aloha,

Leaving at 6 am should work, 30 min. tops

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Aloha
Aloha
4 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,236 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

30 mins in a car, 60 mins on The Bus

Fitchburg...
Level Contributor
657 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

Thanks everyone..... Im leaving in 1 day +18 hours!!!!!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,147 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

The bulk of the traffic will be going in the opposite direction. Going into town and you are going out of town!! It shouldn't take more than an half an hour to get from Waikiki to the airport.

"Rush hour" in the morning starts around 5:30am and goes well into the 8:00am hour.

Honolulu
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

Did 5:45 am on Monday and had no problem with traffic. Went mauka on Kapahulu Avenue, took a right at Jack in the Box (Mooheau Ave), left on 6th Avenue, left on Harding Avenue, left on 5th Avenue (H-1 West entrance) and twenty minutes later, I was at Hawaiian Air Drive Thru to check my one bag. Within a few minutes I was off to the interisland terminal parking lot, parked on the 7th floor close to the middle elevators of the building and within minutes cleared TSA. I go 6th Avenue to avoid the morning local traffic all headed to the H-1 on ramp at Waialae. Much easier and less traffic to deal with. Save some valuable minutes not going on Kapahulu Avenue at that early time in the morning.

Leaving the Waikiki Banyan at 6 am should be no problem. You will have a lot of time for coffee and a sweet roll at the airport. Good luck,

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki Banyan
Waikiki Banyan
542 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,699 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Waikiki to the Airport for an 8am flight

So, leaving from the Royal Grove Hotel on Uliniu Ave to get to the a/port at 6.30am, what time should I ask for the shuttle, or will I just leave it to them

Mentioned in this post
Royal Grove Hotel
Royal Grove Hotel
410 Reviews
Oahu, HI