We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Please help us decide? Or if you have another recommendation

We are beach people more then pool swimmers

Have a 4 month old

Staying for two weeks ( planning for this Wednesday)

Want to be able to walk around and see things

Expect to be spending more time in room then usual on a trip

Would really like to be able to purchase some grocheries etc.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

This Wednesday and you don't have accommodation booked? Egads!

Pick something and book it, asap!

Let me throw a last minute concept at you - You could look for a last minute deal on VRBO.com if you want a kitchen.

This one seems to be available and has just had the kitchen and bathroom remodelled (the dark wood cabinets are the new ones) might be worth contacting the owner and see if you can do a deal - maybe you can get the cleaning fee thrown in and a lower rate per night..

http://www.vrbo.com/446386

The location is excellent, super close to the beach so if one of you wants to head back to the room with baby it is not far at all, and you can sit out on the lanai and watch from there.

Waikiki Shore is on my to stay at bucket list, just FYI..

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

There are two Hiltons. Hilton Hawaiian Village is great for pool people, but it's not in the most convenient area for walking to dining and such. (You *can* walk places from there, but I wouldn't want to with a wee one in tow.)

The Hilton Waikiki on Kuhio Ave is in a walkable location, though a bit set back from the Beach.

Of the three, Marriott has the most convenient location for someone with your wants.

Ones you didn't ask about: Hyatt and OUtrigger Waikiki on hte Beach

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Thank you, hilton Hawaiian village is the one I was talking about. The pictures of lagoon are whats attracting me. Looks calm and perfect to bring baby in water.

Walking around with a stroller is easy and sometimes necessary to get in the nap quota.

Looks like I'll have to sacrifice something

4. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 May 2013, 21:53
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Ahhh, beach vacation with the 4 month old baby, been there done that! It works BEST when you can be right on the beach. By the time you change baby, feed baby, pack baby's things, then repeat every three hours, you don't want to be held up lugging everything down the block or even across the street to the beach. Not to mention going back because you forgot something or the baby is fussy and needs a break from the heat.

I would think more along the lines of the Outrigger Waikiki or Hilton Hawaiian Village. The Outrigger Waikiki being more in the center of the "action" since you already know you might not get out to the beach much.

Condos are also a great idea, that's pretty much all we do any more. Check out private VRBO rentals in the Ilikai, or the Outrigger Waikiki Shore.

I don't think I would pick either of the two you listed unless it was only due to lack of availability elsewhere.

ETA: Just read your second post and agree the HHV is the way to go if that's what you meant! They have a lot to do and see on property, and if you have a full reclining stroller naps on the go will be no problem:)

Edited: 03 May 2013, 21:01
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Gerald, there is availability at the HHV for that time. However the original poster would be paying high rates - in this particular situation you might want to check with a travel agent and see what kind of deal they might be able to organise for you.

The HHV could work out well depending on where they put you, but for the price Waikiki Shore might be better value for money. Especially for the amount of time you are going to be there, having the kitchen could work wonders for your budget.. and the fact that it is that little bit closer to the action than the HHV is for a quick stroll downtown.

Edited: 03 May 2013, 21:09
Seattle
Level Contributor
42,208 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

I really liked the looks and the location of the Marriott. It doesn't seem like it comes up as often as some of the other hotels (maybe there's something I don't know?).

It's only on my mind because my trip just last week I spent quite a bit of time there. I went to a couple Zumba classes, so had dealings with their consierge when I first went to find out about classes, then spent some time in the common areas (fabulous bar/cafe/pool up on the 3rd floor with a view), gift shops, restaurants, etc. It seemed like a winner to me. szue

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Hmmm. Yout have a point about the lagoon. It's not too exciting for anyone over age five. Very shallow and pond-like. But a wee one as wee as yours -- and if you don't mind that everything takes about 5 or 6 minutes longer to walk to -- maybe HHV is the best choice for you.

But, as others have said, time's a-wastin'! (Most of us months -- sometimes many months -- in advance!)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,896 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

I don't like the beach at the HHV that well, it is very shallow and it gets very hot.

The Marriott is closer to the ocean (and beach) than at least four of the HHV towers and maybe closer than five of them.

That being said, if I could get a condo in the Lagoon Tower or Grand Waikikian, that would be my first choice and I'd also look at the Waikiki Shore, Aston Waikiki Banyan, Imperial Waikiki and The Regency at Beach Walk for a condo.

No way would I want to be in a hotel room that long, I'd really like a full kitchen. See if this resource helps.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/oahu/oah…

Surrey, Canada
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriot or hilton in Waikiki with 4 month old

Thank you so much everyone

Yes it is very last minute- long story.

I have booked two weeks at the hilton Hawaiian village. I think being at the beach will be best for us. Haven't been to Oahu before, really looking forward to it!