We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Handy Hints Waikiki

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Handy Hints Waikiki

Hi All

Well I have 4 sleeps to go and I will be stepping on the plane for my first trip to Hawaii. Very excited as not only will I be a first timer but also travelling solo. For peace of mind I have booked a shared shuttle to my hotel (Outrigger Reef on the Beach). I have 14 glorious nights of me time.

I have reviewed the forum for ideas to keep me entertained (Pearl Harbour, Shopping, Mai Tais, Turtle Bay) tipping etiquette (have a number of $1 & $5 notes) etc. But just want to ask fellow forum people if I need to know anything that will assist (apart from looking the other direction when crossing the road :) ).

Cheers

PK666

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Turtle Bay Resort
Turtle Bay Resort
4,628 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
3,055 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

The North Shore is a nice spot , Giovanni's shrimp truck, Pali Lookout, The Moana Surfrider beside the Outrigger on the Beach, is a lovely hotel on Waikiki to sit under the banyan tree, sit drinks and listen to music, you may meet other solo travellers at The Yardhouse....lots to see and do.

Mentioned in this post
North Shore
North Shore
1,027 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
Giovanni's Shrimp Truck
1,760 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Dallas
Level Contributor
25,146 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

Well, look when crossing the road, and don't jay walk, the fines are really expensive.

Waikiki Beachwalk is nice area right out from the Outrigger Reef, but be sure to go down Kalakua to the area around the Moana. See the Royal Hawaiian, have a mai-tai at the Moana Surfrider (as Canadasunny noted earlier) bar under the huge banyan tree, maybe take a sunset catamaran ride that departs from the beach in front of the Outrigger Waikiki and Moana Surfrider area.

Dukes on Sunday afternoon has a great beach party with live music. Big crowd gathers there and lots of paryting and dancing. Easy to meet lots of nice people there and Dukes is a very popular place at any time. It is in the Outrigger Waikiki Hotel between Moana and Royal Hawaiian hotels.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Outrigger Waikiki Beach Resort
Outrigger Waikiki Beach...
5,238 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Seattle
Level Contributor
48,425 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

I just got back from a one week solo trip to Waikiki last week. I had a fantastic time. Outrigger Reef is a very nice hotel in a good location.

My best tip is about eating, since I didn't really feel like wanting to eat at sit-down restaurants all the time, I made good use of the Food Court at IMP (Blue Water Shrimp is very good there, and the handmade ice cream place!) and also food court at Royal Hawaiian shopping center. On Kuhio is St Germaines bakery that makes excellent things, not only sweet but savory like ham & cheese crossant and slices of quiche for a quick breakfast, fantastic sandwiches too (under $4).

If you want more things to do I very much like the Doris Duke Shangri La estate tour and the Iolani Palace tour.

suze

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Kuhio Beach
Kuhio Beach
481 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Iolani Palace
Iolani Palace
4,735 Reviews
Oahu, HI
No California
Level Contributor
243 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

Along with looking "the other direction" when crossing the road, remember that a lot of other things are on the "other side" as well. Meaning that when going up a staircase, most folks will stay to the right. If there are two doors into a building, most will use the right door to enter. Have a great time!

laguna niguel, ca
Level Contributor
7,469 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

Waikiki has all these wonderful beach bars, and the bar tenders really look out for solos. So if you go to the Moana or Dukes or the Royal Hawaiian Mai Tai Bar sit at the bar, and not at a table and introduce yourself.

another one, soft drinks at restaurants are all you can drink, so don't lunge for your cup when they ask you if you want a refill.

Some of the best activities and dining Oahu do not advertise, so just because they are not in a magazine, does not mean it is not good. Sunset sails, and surf lessons are a good example. Ask people what they enjoyed.

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Mai Tai Bar
Mai Tai Bar
146 Reviews
Oahu, HI
Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

A really fun thing to do is a catamaran trip...you can book them right off the beach at Waikiki. We always enjoy the Na Hoku II which takes off right in front of the Moana Surfrider.....you can just walk up and get on most of the time. It's around $25.00 and all the booze you can drink. They start the rides at 9:30 and then every two hours after. A very fun way to enjoy getting out on the water and meeting new people.

Have a great trip!

Mentioned in this post
Waikiki
Waikiki
Oahu, HI
Hoku Hawaii Tours
Hoku Hawaii Tours
812 Reviews
Oahu, HI
LA
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

If you do the Shangri-La tour, do the first one of the day because it always gets hot and humid over there.

The tour leaves and returns to the Honolulu Museum of Art. They have a fabulous gift shop and a really good restaurant, but you need reservations. It makes a lovely day to enjoy the Shangri-La tour, visit the museum gift shop, visit the museum and have lunch in their very attractive courtyard.

Mentioned in this post
Honolulu Museum of Art
Honolulu Museum of Art
1,097 Reviews
Oahu, HI
LA
Level Contributor
11,000 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

Make sure and take in a Hawaiian performer in concert:

http://www.mele.com/resources/events.html

Any of the performers on that schedule for Saturday May 11 or Sunda May 12 would be very memorable.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

Hi All

Wow some great insight and ideas (that why I love TripAdvisor community). I feel like I am already there. Will definitley hit up under a Banyan tree with a couple of cheeky cocktails. Love the idea of the sailing trips. Great feedback about eating out - yep sometimes you dont want to sit in a restaurant unless I have a Hugh Jackman lookalike sitting opposite me :0. Great tip about general "walking" around and courtesy (have a feeling there is going to be a bit of pavement shuffle going on).

Keep the ideas coming - my list is getting bigger - Love It!!!!!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
406 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Handy Hints Waikiki

Depends what you are into. I really enjoyed the High Tea at the Moana. Did it solo and enjoyed people watching on the beach and in the beach bar. Taking my best mate back there this year. I second, or is third by now, the catamaran suggestion. A tour or two is also a good way to meet people. Have a fab time!