We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

We just returned from a trip to Waikiki the last week of April and had a great time! Our original trip had been planned for last December, but had to be postponed due to my son's surgery. Some may remember me asking on here about whether to reschedule for December of 2014, or try for a different month sooner. Well, as it worked out, our timeshare (Waikiki Marina at the Ilikai) had a week available in April and airfare was around $700 each so we went for it!

Now, as fate would have it, there is also a timeshare week available the week of Thanksgiving and I see that airfare is around $800! The nice thing with timeshare weeks is that they are pretty much pre-paid every year so we don't have to worry about shopping around for hotel rates, etc.:) We usually take 2 vacations a year anyway and don't have anything else planned for fall/winter at this point.

So I guess my questions are: Will coming back so soon take the "magic" out of visiting Oahu? Do any regular visitors ever get sick of it in large doses? And also, what's it like around Thanksgiving there- is that a good time to visit? I'm kind of curious as to why it's still available! I know it's the end of Hurricane season here on the East Coast.

If we were to hold off on this one, we would probably wait a year or two and save timeshare points to either do a Oahu/Kauai combo trip like we did the first visit, or Maui. Waikiki is basically the "cheapest" for us points-wise.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

GO! :)

There is no such thing as too much Oahu. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

Hmmm ...

I've been to Hawaii (with always some time in Honolulu) at least once (usually twice) a year for the past 12 years. Many, many of us go at least yearly. Some, especially those who live on the West Coast, go more often. So, you are quite normal. I can't fathom being "sick" of Hawaii, although the increase in hotel prices does make me think that my trips will be less frequent in the future ... plus I DO want to see the rest of the world, LOL!

I use freebie Hawaiian Airline miles - so that helps keep the cost down.

Thanksgiving is BUSY! Very popular family vacation time. I am surprised that you are finding reasonable airfare. But if you are staying on Waikiki ... well, it's always busy! I have been in Honolulu for Thanksgiving (2011) - and it was fine. You'll want to reserve your car far ahead (of course), and activities and restaurants if you can. I am sensing from this forum that that shopping after Thanksgiving is becoming a draw for international visitors - Black Friday sales have become legendary.

Hurricane season would not be a factor.

Waiting for a Maui/Oahu combo is a great idea! You could plan ahead for the weeks you want.

Another question is whether you want to miss Thanksgiving in Philly.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 16:49
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

And ... you understand that flying around Thanksgiving can be rather WILD with the crowds and bad weather.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

You can never come back too soon!

Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

I just got back myself, and I'd LOVE to go again in November. I've been there in that month before several times (my b-day) and it's been wonderful weather. I've travel on Thanksgiving week before (but to Mexico) it wasn't any big deal. So to your question... I'd go in a heart-beat!

suze

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

Some might consider a 6 month wait too LONG!

Go for it.

I was over to the islands 3 different times in a 4 month period... had no problems with losing ANY of that "magic"....

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

Thanks for the food for thought! We're fine with missing TG in Philly since both sets of parents are split and re-married and the Holiday usually just becomes a drive-fest for us trying to fit them all in!

Regarding wild airports that week- we would actually fly in on Friday the 22nd (or even Thursday 21st) and back out on Friday the 29th. Landing back on the east coast at 6:55 AM on Saturday the 30th. So I think we'll be ahead of the airport rush, but how bad does HNL get?

I'm looking at flying Hawaiian out of JFK direct to HNL this time instead of United out of Newark. To fly out of Philly would easily add $300 to that price, and at least another 5 hours by the time we clear security and fly to the connecting airport!

We'll definitely join HA's frequent flyer club if we do it! You know, my sister's friend moved to Honolulu a few years ago and we always thought she was crazy...I think I'm starting to get it now though!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,207 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

LOL, TrvlingGrl ... I have always thought that a large number of visitors to Hawaii over Thanksgiving were fleeing the hassle at home! Who goes to whose house, who makes the stuffing, the long drives, the weather, and the expectations of the "perfect" holiday! So in that situation, Thanksgiving in Hawaii sounds wonderful.

Flying on Thursday the 21st sounds good ... and you might want to fly home on Thanksgiving itself ... which is usually so, so, so quiet!

I use a Hawaiian Airlines credit card for freebie points.

But you better hop on this, as the flight prices and timeshare availability won't last long.

Edited: 08 May 2013, 17:26
Seattle
Level Contributor
41,286 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

***LOVE*** Hawaiian Air. You won't believe the difference!! They are the only US airline (as they proudly announce) serving free meals. Sometimes even complimentary drinks (I got a rum punch before landing going and a glass of wine with a hot dinner on the return). They also have great inflight entertainment (bring your own headphones or purchase HA earbuds for $3 and keep them) with lots of Hawaii shows, besides regular movies.

suze

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of coming back in Nov- too soon?

I am seeing that now Suze! I heard about their free meals on here, and just looking at their in flight services last night I thought it read free wine with lunch/dinner and rum punch with breakfast. That, and having direct flights available so we can snooze uninterrupted on the way home... I think I'm ready to hit the purchase button on both the condo & flight!

You have all been very helpful in convincing me of what I already suspected, thank you:) Now 6 months to plan all the fun stuff we need to do this time: Kualoa Ranch, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, back to Hanauma Bay.....