We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk to Diamond Head

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Walk to Diamond Head

How far does it take to walk from Waikiki to the top of Diamond Head? Is it an easy walk? We are quite fit, so can walk long distances. Thanks in advance.

Candy Land
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

i suggest bus, trolley, rental car or taxi. entrance is not on the Waikiki side. I just did this last month and was dropped off then wasgonna walk back to Waikiki. some taxi driver asked if I needed a ride and I said "to the zoo" and was quoted 11 dollars no meter. I took it. I would guess it would take almost 2 hours to get here then the hike and almost two hours back. the hike is a quick 30 minutes and a dollar fee.

I was staying at the Modern at the Ala Moana side of Waikiki so maybe a closer hotel will save 20 minutes each way.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

It really all depends on where you are staying in Waikiki and how far do you like to walk.

From the corner of Kalakaua and Kapahulu which I consider as the "Diamond Head end" of Waikiki to the entrance of Diamond Head (on Diamond Head Road) is about 2.5 km; there is slight uphill on Monsarrat Avenue and Diamond Head Road. From the entrance of Diamond Head Road through the tunnel to the trail head is about 1 km. Then it is about 1.5 km from trail head to the top which has the steepest ascent of the 3 portions I listed but it is only 0.17km elevation gain in that 1.5km, so really not so bad.

Be sure to bring water and sun protection.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

According to the nice people at Google Maps, it would be 4.3 KM, from the Outrigger Waikiki (more or less center of Waikiki) to the parking lot, where the trailhead starts. They estimate it at 1 hour, walking. Please be aware that the sun gets brutally hot, and there is not a lot of shade, once you leave Waikiki.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
203 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

We walked from Marriott on Wakiki last year. Seems like round trip was about 6 miles round trip. --going there was uphill. I was 66 and not exactly a speciman of health. I noticed many cabs at Diamond Head offering rides back to Wakiki for as little as $5 cash. This hike is a must do if you are able. Possibly the most beautiful view of Wakiki. . Take water-- .However There are drinks and snacks at the park.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

It is doable, if you're in good shape, wear hats, sunscreen, bring waters. There's always options for a ride back, should you decide to.

Enjoy the great views from the top, it's definitely a memorable experience! Aloha ~

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,070 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

Factor in time and heat. I'd take the bus both ways - then do the hike.

Wetaskiwin, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

My wife and I walked to Diamond Head, climbed it, and walked back from the Waikiki Banyan (down by the zoo end of Waikiki) last November and it took us three hours total. We are both in our mid-fifties in age and are in average physical condition. We actually took our time coming back as we wandered through a couple of residential districts on the way back. We went in the morning when it was cooler and took water. A couple of years ago we took the bus and I think that we probably spent more time waiting for the bus than anything else.

Seattle
Level Contributor
44,230 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

I've never hiked Diamondhead but I have walked back to Waikiki from even further out. I say 1 hour each way. But know it's not exactly the most pleasant walk since a lot of it is just on a sidewalk along a busy street with lots of traffic.

suze

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
230 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

Hi,

We walked from the Waikiki Banyan 2 adults and a child it was a 3hr round trip for us and we loved it so much we did it twice, I would recommend that you leave nice and early that way the roads are not as busy, we had th eoption of getting a bus back but chose to walk it really is nice just strolling along.

Just remember to take your wallet as you may like some shaved ice at the end and it costs $1 to get in Cheap entertainment.

Loved it.

Take water and a good hat.:)

Donna

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walk to Diamond Head

Thanks everyone. Thinking of getting a bus to the start of the walk. Which bus do we get and from where? We're staying at the Outrigger Waikiki.