We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wellsford, New...
Level Contributor
95 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

I am from NZ travelling to Honolulu for the first time and don't know whether I am best to get an ANZ Travel card with US $ dollars loaded on which will be at the ANZ exchange rate and costs $12 for the card or to just take a wad of cash for all my spending. I am going for 10 days. I am paying the hotel in cash so need that much in cash anyway.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

Please do NOT carry a load of cash around with you. There are better ways to pay your bills.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

Goodness - you certainly are taking a risk to take the $$ you need for the hotel bill, plus the $$$ spending in cash. Just think how much this holiday is actually costing and weigh up whether $12 for a travel card is worth the value for the safety of your money. Hawaii is the most fabulous venue for a holiday - do hope you enjoy every moment there and post a trip report when you get home.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

Tina C, That ANZ travel card looks quite good, there is nothing about an international transaction fee which is the killer fee for most Aussie cards, and 2.20 to take out cash is very reasonable.

Can I ask why you are paying the hotel in cash? That is not something I have heard of before. Most of them want a credit card imprint when you check in, and some of them take a "bond" which I always ask about before I hand over my card now, usually when I make my booking, having been caught with that too many times.

Edited: 12 May 2013, 07:36
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

BTW yes I know you aren't Aussie, but all the research I have done has been into Aussie cards, which is why I think this one is pretty good and I might even have gone for it - might still go for it actually..

Canberra (capital...
Level Contributor
1,495 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

There is a MasterCard credit card free of all transaction costs, free ATM withdrawals (pre load your cash), really good exchange rate and free from annual fees. It's called 28 Degrees and is very well respected in the frequent flyer community.

Bendigo
Level Contributor
899 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

Will chip in again. I have a Visa card which I keep a limit of $1000 and use for all internet transactions(such as hotel deposits) and never use a similar card for purchases when travelling as the Bank charges for international monetary exchanges mount up. I travel overseas extensively and have a Commonwealth Bank travel card which is similar to the ANZ. I lodge the value I expect for the hotel expenses on the card, the hotel takes the imprint on arrival and then settle when I leave. Could not be simpler.

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,826 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

Hotels will usually let you pay the entire amount of the room, tax and (if applicable, things like resort fees) in cash at check-in but will still want a credit card for incidentals/to cover damage or theft. Long gone are the days when you could just hand over a wad of cash and that's it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,094 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

>>It's called 28 Degrees and is very well respected in the frequent flyer community.<<

But it is not available to the OP, who is from New Zealand.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
559 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

HI,

Cash is King. Ive started carrying cash, it saves a heap on fees, especially if you make lots of little transactions. Depending on your card it can add up to 10% of your expenditure. Balancing that cost against the risk of carrying cash is of course something you need to think about. I bundle it up in all sorts of places when I'm travelling, and usually there's a safe in the room or at reception. Never had a problem and when you balance that against the possible loss of a card and having your money siphoned it's probably about the same likelihood of getting mugged in the street. I've had more issues with credit cards getting eaten by OS ATM's and leaving me high and dry.

I've also been put onto the 28degrees card, which is apparently completely fee free. Don't know if its available in NZ. However, it's a GE Money product and they aren't exactly global good citizens. Take full advantage of their fee free conditions and get one back on the big guys :-)

cheers

Ramjet

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Zealand ANZ Travel card or cash.

I would not want to be carrying more than $100 on me at any given time. That is just my own personal preference.

I applied for the Bank West Platinum credit card which does not charge any international transaction fees on purchases, which will work great for me. 99% of the time, I will be paying by card. But I also have other credit cards as backup. I might think about getting one of these cards to put in the safe in case of an emergency.

I have heard a lot about the 28 degrees card - however that one is not an option for me as I had issues in the past with GE Money and would never deal with them again.