We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping maid service

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
89 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping maid service

We have always tipped taxis, bar and restaurant service but after reading this forum realise that the norm in the US is also to tip for maid service. We are coming to honululu in June and assume we should tip $5 a day. Is this correct, but more importantly how do you do this? Just leave the money out with a note or on the kitchen bench? Apologies if this is a dumb question but this is not standard practise at home.

Fresh Catch
£, Seafood, Fast food, Hawaiian
Sweet E's Cafe
££ - £££, American, Cafe, Hawaiian
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping maid service

When we went to Hawaii in Nov, the impression I got was that it was $3-$5 as we were staying at the Hilton we left $5. Either on the bedside table or the pillow will suffice, they will know its meant for them.

on the last day we left a note thanking them, you could either do this or mention them at reception if you were impressed by the service.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Bendigo
Level Contributor
958 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping maid service

It is quite tricky when you are simply not used to tipping. We leave a tip every day for the hotel 'maid' as they may change during your time. Just leave the $$ on the pillow. We have also found at some restaurants they automatically add the tip to the account. Certainly not a dumb question as causes a degree of anxt with Aussies and New Zealanders where reasonable salaries/wages are paid and even tho we holiday in Hawaii annually, we sometimes forget to leave the tip.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping maid service

Our trip in September will be our first to US and the need to tip is one that is causing concern, as you have stated, we Aussies and Kiwis are just not used to it. Knowing how much, when, to whom we should tip is a worry as we don't want to appear rude or unappreciative. Advice from others on TA is always welcome and appreciated.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping maid service

We once left a tip on the bedside table and the maid didn't take it. Now we usually leave a note with "Mahalo" on top of the $$. The amount we tip depends on the time it would take to clean the room, $3/day for a small hotel room, or more for a large condo. With the cost of living in Hawaii, housekeeping personnel have a hard time supporting a family on just their hourly wage.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
tucson, az
Level Contributor
4,221 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping maid service

I asked my night housekeeper the other night [answering the question on a different forum] and she suggested in an envelope with the word 'tip' or 'housekeeping' on it, on the pillow, or stuck on say the desk with something like a pen on top that lets them know it was placed there deliberately.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
21,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping maid service

We stay a week or 10 days at a hotel or resort, and are not going to write a note every day. We just leave it on top of the pillow and they know it's for them. We leave $5, but they usually change the towels twice a day and freshen up the room.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,958 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping maid service

I usually left the tip at the foot of the bed (on the bed) since I don't want to sleep on the pillow that I have laid the money on. I had the bills nicely fanned out so it is obvious they were left there on purpose. I never had the maid not taking it.

Reason for not leaving on pillow? Bed linens are not changed everyday and who knows where those dollar bills have been. I don't want whatever germs on those bills anywhere near my face.

Edited: 14 May 2013, 13:47
Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
165 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping maid service

Tipping maids is not "mandatory" like taxi's or restaurants. I think $5 a day for a typical hotel room is way too much. If you are in a condo or have a kitchen, or make a large mess, then yes that may be in line. If you are just needing towels changed and bed made, then a few dollars a day or $5 every 2-3 days would be sufficient.

Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
60 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping maid service

$3-$5 per day is about right. While housekeeping is not considered a tipped position like servers in a restaurant, i.e. paid less than minimum wage with the expectation that tips will make up the difference, they are often paid minimum or slightly above. That's a lot of work for not much money.

I leave it each day since who cleans the room can change. I've had the tip left behind when I placed it on the bed so I now fold it in a piece of paper with "Thank You" or "Housekeeping" written on it.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,139 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping maid service

Not everyone tips housekeeping. It's not a longstanding "tradition" like at restaurants. And not everyone tips daily. And there is no "tipping police" if you do not tip. It's up to you. I have traveled extensively for business ... tipping was not common. Sometimes a 4-star hotel would have "tipping envelopes" for housekeeping . Again - rare.

Personally - when traveling alone, I don't use houskeeping every day. When I do, I generally leave a couple dollars under the pillow. Why? I don't want managers to scoop up the funds before the actual housekeepers arrive.

And yes, it is a good idea to leave a note - as the housekeeping staff would not want to be accuse of stealing.

I would also be more generous when traveling with children, rooms with extra beds and such.

Again, it's up to you.

If you have to call housekeeping to bring up extra towels or something - then tip that person a couple dollars.