We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

Does anyone know if DOLE has a shuttle or such like? Google is not my friend in this instance! I am taking my children next month & they want to go there. I know there is the public bus which takes about 1.5 hours each way, or an Island tour. Is my only easy option a $100? cab ride each way? any advice much appreciated (& yeah I know lots don't like it, but my kids really want to go)

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

Ok, so fingers crossed we will all answer the question, and resist the temptation to speak about the dole plantation and how it is a tourist trap blah blah etc.. :) which has been said many times before and I am sure the OP has read that in multiple threads already.

Because the kids have decided they want to do it and there is no talking kids out of it when they make up their mind. :)

It sounds like an island tour will not be what the kids want - sounds like they want to spend some time there?

I would suggest, if you are not going to hire a car, you could contact Hawaii 23 and see how much they would quote you for a return trip.

http://www.hawaii23.com

On the website it says $78 return for 3 passengers. Bit pricey but still cheaper than a cab.

I totally understand if you do not want to hire a car and try to drive it being that you are from NZ. I am also nervous about driving on the wrong side of the road in the wrong side of the car. It seems like car hire would probably be the cheapest and simplest option for this, I think. But Hawaii23 is another option you can consider..

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

Thanks so much for that - Hawaii23 is what I am looking for! I did go to DOLE many years ago, so have tried to put the children off.....!

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,515 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

Be sure to get Dole Whip.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

I have never been, but because everyone keeps saying it is a tourist trap I 100% intend a visit on the next trip, because I personally am a big fan of that kind of thing. :) I probably won't spend hours there but at a minimum I will explore the pineapple garden and the gift shop, and the dole whip. :)

I think what people forget is everyone is different, and what I might like to do on holiday would be a nightmare trip for other people and vice versa.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

It'd be a lot of time spent on the buses, both ways. We contemplated doing that one time, and decided not too, didn't want to miss out on so much beach/swimming time! When our relatives that live there had the time to take us sightseeing, they brought us; so I'd recommend options to get there other than the Bus for that journey.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 10:50
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

And their coconut candy sold in their store is yummy too ....

They'll enjoy getting lost in the Maze and the train trip.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,142 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

I would rent a car. It's a nice drive, about 40 minutes from Waikiki, and if you continue on you can head to the Haleiwa on the North Shore, and even the Polynesian Cultural Center in Laie. We combined a stop at the Dole Plantation with our visit to PCC since we had the morning free before they opened.

Check out www.discounthawaiicarrental.com for a good deal. We rented a compact for $62.00 total for two days. I understand some Aussies don't want to try driving on the opposite side of the road, but I have done it in Scotland and Ireland with no trouble...and they have traffic circles!

tucson, az
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

The Dole Plantation is a great place to sit and have Dole Whips and browse the store for the kitschy souvenirs you're taking back or want yourself. But then I like cheerfully self-kitschy places like the Dole Plantation. Also Dole Whips.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

We stopped for Dole Whip, feed the koi, stroll the pineapple garden. Yes, it is touristy, and the souvenirs are quite overpriced, but it is an experience.

Your kids would enjoy feeding the koi.

Canada
Level Contributor
263 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dole Plantation - how to get there without doing Island tour

It is a “Tourist Trap” yes, but you are tourist so go there and have a Dole Whip #3 for fresh pineapple pieces on it. The store is fun, personally I’m a fan of the strawberry flavored dried pineapple chunks and the cookies, we get 5 bags at once. It isn’t a place I’d spend too much time at, but well worth the stop and a quick visit. Enjoy.