We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

New Zealand
Level Contributor
711 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

In no particular order

Dinners

Tanaka of Tokyo - King's Village, great entertainment and food but expensive.

Bubba Gump - Ala Moana Shopping Centre, great atmosphere and memorabilia from the movie, food average with medium price. The bonus was that the fireworks from The Hilton went off and we had prime seats from Bubba Gump - most unexpected!

Ruth's Chris Steak House - if you love steak, great service and table settings this is the place for you it was expensive. $40 for steak then you had to buy sides about $10 each. Surpurb food and service. Nice outlook over Waikiki Beach Walk if you sit outside as we did.

P F Chang's - most unexpectedly good! I had the flank steak stir fry and I must say it was the best I have ever eaten and they offer brown or white rice! Of course I went with the brown rice.

Good prices and service.

Chucks Steakhouse at Outrigger - expensive, food average and service poor!

Cheesecake Factory - Service rushed, food average, price good. Busy noisy place, but had to try it. Long wait if you come during peak times. We waited 10 mins at 5.30pm.

Lunch

Best and cheapest is a little kiosk at the Outrigger Waikiki same floor as Chucks - little Asian lady made the best fresh sandwiches to order and smoothes to go. Sandwiches roughly $8 with smoothies $6. You choose the filling - she makes it - yum!

Tikis Grill n Bar - good food, service and price - nice out look over the road onto the beach. I had Roll your own Korean tacos $14 - to die for, comes out on a sizzling plate to the table.

Chart House - food average service appalling!!! Not cheap for what you get - wouldn't go back here.

Moana Surfrider - Great outdoor by the beach atmosphere!!! Service great, food lovely and drinks good - not the stongest we had but good. They also put a orchid flower in our drinks - nice touch! We returned here many times for drinks. Expensive as you would expect.

Jimmy Buffett's - good Margaritas and food at good prices, went back a couple of times, once again drinks not that strong.

Breakfast

Dukes best buffet for breakfast with omelette station but it dosnt change from day to day, cost

$15 they also come around with coffee and fruit juices of your choice. Husband loved the frest fruit and yoghurt then an omelette! Great views overlooking Diamond Head and the beach.

Now compare it with their sister property - Outrigger Reef same price. I would never go back it was horrible!

No service food yuck. Only had bread - no toast - and the fruit juices were of a poor quality.

However they did have ham on the bone and fish which Dukes did not have. Atmosphere no where near as nice as Dukes. Did look out onto beach.

Dukes win all the way but as I say the buffet never changed the whole time we were there.

Hula Grill - upstairs from Dukes, basically the same food as the buffet but plated and bought to the table. Lovely outlook as well.

Moana Surfrider - we went here for breakfast on our last day - beautiful service as you would expect - husband had omlette which came with all sorts of condiments and I had toast and coffee. Very nice but pricey.

We hired a car and went around the island, had Giovanni's Shrimp Truck for lunch - so yum cant remember how much but it comes with rice and I ordered a side of macaroni cheese salad.

Got there are 11.30am so we had a 1/2 hour wait. There are covered tables and chairs and bathrooms. Further down the road we discovered lots of other shrimp trucks but didnt eat at any of them. Remember Giovanni's is the first one you come to others follow down the road.

We then had a huge pineapple ice cream from Dole - absolutley devine!

We found the Old Tiki Bar at the La Mariana Sailing Club - not easy to find! Lovely old place with great history - a must to see if you have time, drinks good service just lovely. I understand alot of the carvings etc came from the Tiki Restaurant that Sheraton had 30 years ago, it was nice to see as we had dined at the Sheraton when this Tiki Restaurant was open - why would Sheraton replace this restaurant?? Tiki bars are what tourists want to see and go to.

Ok - best Coffee at Honolulu Coffee Company at Moana Surfrider!!!!!!!!!!!! REALLY IS THE BEST!

Best drinks at Rum Fire Sheraton - great service, outlook and strongest drinks!!

Next best would be Royal Hawaiian - beautiful place, go check out the lobby.

Hope this helps plan your eating adventures.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,644 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Very nice. Thanks!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
428 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Great report - thanks. We had great drinks at The Royal Hawaiian. Such a beautiful property.

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,829 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

I love food reports. Thank you for posting.

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Fab to know all that - great tip for Bubba Gumps on a fri nite to watch the fireworks! thanks

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Great rundown of all your food stops, and will be helpful for many! Thanks for taking the time to share! :)

Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
1,588 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Don't mean to pollute the punchbowl, but that is a murders row of mediocre, US mainland chain restaurants. There many great, unique places in Amberloo & Food and the Cheap Eats topics in the top questions section.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
711 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Jeremy just letting travellers know our eatting experiences, they might be US mainland chain restaurants whats wrong with that - there is no chance about it you know what you are getting!

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,827 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

Sparkle - thanks for your experiences.

The only comments I would make are, I think the sandwich place you talk about at the Outrigger Waikiki is not on the same floor as Chuck's, but actually on the bottom floor with Dukes and around to the right towards the pool. We agree with the sandwiches being great and my wife makes me go down and get one for her almost everyday.

Also, I hate to hear your experience at Chuck's Steakhouse. We find the food there to be pretty reasonably priced compared to many other places, food is pretty good but we don't eat a steak there. We usually eat one of the early bird specials. And the service we have always had there is excellent. But the view is incredible of the beach, the water and Diamond Head. It is one of our favorite places to eat. Sorry you had a bad experience there.

Thanks for the list.

Aloha

9. Re: Report on where we ate during our stay May 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:18