We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gps unit

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Gps unit

not quite sure but wanted to confirm if your mainland GPS unit will work ok in Oahu? Would appreciate if someone can confirm for me. Regards, Steve

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gps unit

We used ours a few years ago and it worked perfectly. We just did the update before we left and made sure that it included Hawaii, plugged it in and off we went.

Rented one last time with our rental cause I forgot to pack our own. Really hated it and didn't use it. I guess we couldn't be bothered to take the time to figure out how to use it.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
152 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gps unit

We brought our Garmin last year, purchased in BC, worked like a charm. Even pronounced Hawaiian street names correctly!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gps unit

We purchased a TomTom in LA last year from Target and it has worked fine on Oahu (although some of the pronunciations are dubious).

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gps unit

Thanks to everyone's help. I have a Magellan that should do the trick. Many thanks for you taking your time to respond. Regards, Steve

Janesville...
Level Contributor
710 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gps unit

WASE worked like a charm on Oahu...as did our fantastic GyPSy Tour App if you looking for more than just directions. Read my T.R. if you want some more info on that app.

Mentioned in this post
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,108 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gps unit

The updated Garmin maps are great, and the new version does actually pronounce the names pretty well. We used to get a good laugh at the garbling before updating.

L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gps unit

Thank everyone for the additional input. I appreciate it. Regards, Steve

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,073 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gps unit

Used one from Oregon. Worked fine. Totally butchered the Hawaiian names, though ...

central valley, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gps unit

27 years ago I got by with just a map. I do not remember all the people or all the one-way roads there. I plugged in all the addresses at home. Once on the Islands, I set it to mute and it made driving much more relaxed. Also worked correctly on Maui and Hawaii. As for my Garmin; 'Don't leave home without it'.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
L.A.
Level Contributor
206 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gps unit

As a post script, I took my Magellan unit and switched it over from region setting lower 48 States to Hawaii and it worked fantastick. I agree, don't leave home without it. I did also use a local map to assist.

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States