We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

Eau Claire...
Level Contributor
457 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

My husband and I are thinking of going back to Hawaii next year for our 25th anniversary. Any tips regarding cruising the islands...or even just suggestions or info on booking and going on a cruise would be great!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

I haven't been on the cruise that circles the island, but I know someone who did and didn't want to get off the boat!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

Well, you can 1) cruise to Hawaii, cruise the Islands and fly home ...or perhaps the other order 2) cruise to Hawaii, cruise among the Islands and cruise home or 3) fly to Hawaii and cruise among the Islands and fly home. OK, that was probably a little wordy, but you do have options.

Is cruising a good way to see Hawaii? No. It's a terrible way to see Hawaii. You'll spent way too much time on the ship, subject to their time schedule, their food, etc. No spontaneity, flexibility. Hawaii isn't a hit-and-run kind of place. Slow down and enjoy!

And it's the USA! There is no reason why you would want the "shelter" of a ship. Rent a car and see the sites! Get a hotel/resort/condo and go where you want when you want.

Only in situations where the traveler needs help with English or has special mobility or other needs would I ever recommend a cruise of the Hawaiian Islands.

(And yes, I have cruised from the Mainland and also from Hawaii itself.)

Please reconsider. If you need help getting your planning started, let us know.

Runaway Bay...
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

We have done a cruise around the Hawaiian islands and loved it!! It was a fantastic experience, cruising isn't for everyone but if you love it then there is no reason you won't love a cruise around Hawaii!!

We did the 7 night island cruise and did not feel like we spent to much time on the ship, we cruised slowly at night and were off the ship exploring during the day. We found it a lovely way to explore some of the islands and sights, yes you don't get to do as much as if you were to stay on the island but it certainly didn't detract from our wonderful experience or the fact we still got to see some amazing things! If you can I would say do both, cruise and stay on the same holiday, as you will get a lot more out of your trip however if you are only interested is a cruise you will have a great time :)

Runaway Bay...
Level Contributor
221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

We have done a cruise around the Hawaiian islands and loved it!! It was a fantastic experience, cruising isn't for everyone but if you love it then there is no reason you won't love a cruise around Hawaii!!

We did the 7 night island cruise and did not feel like we spent to much time on the ship, we cruised slowly at night and were off the ship exploring during the day. We found it a lovely way to explore some of the islands and sights, yes you don't get to do as much as if you were to stay on the island but it certainly didn't detract from our wonderful experience or the fact we still got to see some amazing things! If you can I would say do both, cruise and stay on the same holiday, as you will get a lot more out of your trip however if you are only interested is a cruise you will have a great time :)

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,385 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

Let me link you to a couple of my favourite cruise reports -

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php… - kwbound

boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php… - SunnyAZgirl

Those two cruisers really managed to fit a lot in. I think their secret is military precision and planning. :) I love that kwbound has a scheduled itinerary and what we actually did for each day.

I know absolutely nothing about cruising, I have never done it myself, and I am not sure it is for me, but after reading those trip reports I would be fully able to understand how to cruise *and* make the most of it. :) using the boat as a floating hotel room..

And as Bella said, try to add days on both the front and the back end of the cruise for Oahu.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
429 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

We've done a ton of land trips, we've done Pride of America around the Islands and next year we're doing Celebrity Solstice Honolulu to Vancouver. Pride is an OK ship, but her itinerary is specactular. Solstice is an amazing ship but she's too big to get into Kauai which is kind of disappointing. There's no way in Hell I'd ever do the LA Return. Way too little time actually in Hawaii for a two week vacation. That's a cruisers cruise that prefers sea days.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

We cruised the Pride of America because of the ports of call not the ship and loved it! Our floating hotel, never had to pack and unpack, one flight to HNL and one flight home. & days of total island time.

I had many poster tell me it is not the way to see Hawaii and I disagree, we spent 3 days before and one after on Oahu and rented cars on each island and totally enjoyed ourselves and plan on doing this same cruise again sometime soon!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,615 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

I wouldn't say it's a bad way to SEE Hawaii...it's just not a great way to get to know Hawaii.

Pride of America hits all the ports and will give you a feel for each island without having to pack/unpack, and there is something to be said for that. I don't get the impression it's a terribly luxurious ship, but then again Hawaii isn't really about "luxury" to me ... one thing I love is how casual it is.

I would definitely try to add on some time before or after to get a real flavor of the islands ... and Oahu is a great place to start for that.

I would recommend an outside cabin with a balcony -- worth splurging on that for me. And you might check to see which way you will be sailing past the Big Island at night so you can request the right side to see the lava from the volcano, assuming it's flowing into or near the ocean when you are there. I have seen it from land but think it would be really cool to see from sea. (Guess you could see it from the deck, but would be neat to see it from your balcony.)

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,902 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

Personally, I'd go to the cruise critic website for your answers. We loved our POA cruise to Hawaii and we love our visits to the islands land based but you'll get more information at Cruise Critic I think.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruising Hawaii..1st time cruisers

i agree, extra time before and after the cruise and a balcony is a must! And check out Cruise Critic for more advice