We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining options in Waikiki

alease1420
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Dining options in Waikiki

I will be staying at the Sheraton for a conference in August. I would love to try some local food and dont want to spend alot of money on lunch or dinner while I am visiting. I will not have a car, but am happy to take the bus locally since it seems like I might have to get out of Waikiki. I dont tend to love sushi. Any suggestions on good authentic yet inexpensive places to eat? Please no suggestions for American chain restaurants.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,610 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

*The ME Korean BBQ (take-out and small patio) at the Royal Grove hotel is very good and open all day (breakfast, then lunch/dinner). Breakfasts around $5,dinners around $10.

*The Food Court at the International Marketplace has lots of good options. Blue Water Shrimp is my favorite. Excellent generous fish and shrimp dinners for $12-14 (free entertainment on the stage most nights too). At IMP on Thursday there's a Farmers Market with a few booths doing homecooking, hot entrees.

*Food Court at both Royal Hawaiian (walking distance) and Ala Moana Mall (bus ride) both have lots of very good vendors. All kinds of food.

*St Germain bakery on Kuhio has some breakfast items (large slice of quiche $3.50) and fresh sandwiches, some made up, some made to order (under $5).

*If you want to do 'hawaiian food' try either Ono Hawaiian Foods (726 Kapahululu, Waikiki) or Helena's Hawaiian Food (1240 North School St, Honolulu).

*King Village has a Farmers Market on Mon & Fri from 4-9pm with fresh fruits and vegetables, homemade baked goods, one stand with all kinds of poke, one with fried rice, noodles, and various BBQ kabobs. I paid $11 for a big side of fried rice with 4 different kabobs that were very good.

enjoy! suze

Edited: 19 June 2013, 00:51
Dallas
Level Contributor
23,913 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

i agree with suze on the King Village market. I was pretty surprised how many different things there were in a pretty small area.

United States
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

Great recommendations suze! :)

There's plenty of choices, within walking distance, and taking the bus. Ala Moana food court has a lot. Most are reasonable, too. Have a fun time! :)

Edited: 19 June 2013, 02:19
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,562 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

Helena's is too far away, but great. Ono Hawaiian Food is great, but tiny and cash only. Get there 11:15ish for the easiest way to get seated. Ono Seafood, also on Kapahulu has Hawaiian food and just off Kapahulu you have Raonbow Drive-on for plate lunch and Zippy's diner.

Fatty's Chinese is a great, cheap place and you can eat inexpensively at expensive places like Roy's by having a big lunch and then do Aloha Hour in the bar. Same thing at Hula Grill. Steak Shack next to the Waikiki Shore is a great, cheap place and the opposite end of Waikiki is the Barefoot Beach Cafe.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
24,950 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

Thank you Suze.... great info.... just starting my search for next years trip.

Dusty was awesome on another thread....

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,610 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

Someone recently mentioned that Helena's is close to the Bishop Museum downtown, right? I was thinking those two together would make a nice little expedition by bus from Waikiki :) suze

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

You won't have to leave Waikiki. Just stay back from the ocean a block or two. The restaurants at the beachfront resorts are usually pricey (partly because you're paying for the real estate). But there are plenty of affordable options within two blocks of anywhere you're staying.

And, of course, you can also jump on the bus to that fantastic food court at Ala Moana Center.

Sorry I don't have any specific places to add to the list of great suggestions already proffered. But on the top right hand side of this page is a link to the thread "Amberoo and Food." There's a lot of great expertise in there (though, of course, not all of it custom-tailored to your question). Still, good reading!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,562 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

Yes, Helena's is maybe a half mile from Bishop Museum or so over not far from Damien High School on School St.

9. Re: Dining options in Waikiki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:17