We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding on Wakki Beach

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding on Wakki Beach

Hi,

was wondering if anyone could give some advise as I'm bridesmaid for my friend getting married in Hawaii April 2014. She really wants to get married on Wakki beach, and stay the night of the wedding in the Hilton. However, there will be 20 guests (from Ireland) attending and wondering if anyone could recommend a nice, reasonable priced hotel in a good location for the wedding. Someone suggested Queen Kapiolani Hotel for guests????

Any suggestions on anything wedding related would be a great help as we have only started the planning and not to sure were to start!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

The Queen Kapiolani hotels hasn't receive very good reviews lately. What we need to know is the nightly accommodations budget for the bulk of the guests. Do they want to stay in the same place or will they be "spreading out"?

No one can actually get married ON the beach in Waikiki. Any weddings held in this area occur on hotel grounds. There are only a couple of beaches on Oahu where you can get married ON the beach.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
4,974 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

I thought these were "public" beaches. They have all kinds of commercial operations going on there. Why can't people get married? Did the people of Oahu get to vote for this?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

The Hilton has a private part of the beach and the bride is organising to have the wedding with them, they will probably stay a few nights there but for the rest of the guest we want a hotel that can accommodate the group so we are all staying in the same location. It could be for 5-6 nights so want a nice hotel at mid-range price.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,775 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

The Hilton Hawaiian Village doesn't have part of a "private beach". I see they do say they do wedding ON the beach in front of the hotel, but it will not be private.

Mid range doesn't tell me anything. The actual nightly budget will be helpful.

Yes, all beaches in Hawaii are public but that doesn't mean you can do anything you want to on them!! The businesses on the beaches of Waikiki are all done with a permit.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

In Hawaii, you must have a beach permit for a wedding on the beach. The the person performing the ceremony or wedding planner has to have one for each ceremony. I really don't think of Waikiki as a wedding type beach but to each their own. Has your friend been there?

Edited: 01 July 2013, 21:35
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

Just wanted some hotel reccomdations. I'll read some reviews thanks!

Lagrangeville, NY
Level Contributor
2,903 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

You do not want Queen Kapiolani Hotel if you want to be "close" to the Hilton. I am assuming you mean Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) since that's the Hilton property that is on the beach. Queen Kapiolani Hotel is at the opposite end of Waikiki, about 2.5 to 3 km away from the HHV.

See this map of Waikiki hotels for an idea of where hotels are:

www.discounthotelshawaii.com/waikikimap.html

HHV is number 12 and Queen Kapiolani is 74. Take a look at Aqua Palms (6) and Ramada (11). I have not stayed at either so I cannot tell you if they are ok or not, but they are close to HHV and economical.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
18 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

Ok great thanks! Lots of people suggesting different locations. Hard to know were to start as I've never been and not what I would have planned so hard to know when its not your thing. Thanks :)

@
Level Contributor
2,001 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

Weren't weddings ON WB banned?

There are plenty of other beaches, though, OP

There are recent threads on budget hotels, $100 hotel, $150 hotels....

LA
Level Contributor
10,262 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Wedding on Wakki Beach

Waikiki is so crowded. You are going to have noise and people wandering by in their beer bellies and cellulite gawking at your wedding, with screaming kids in the background .