We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Perth
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

HI website says there is a daily tax of 13.692% payable, when do I get charged for this, on check in? I'm assuming it's not included on the daily rate.

I called Expedia and was told whatever price was on the website, then that is all I would pay, but then I see at the bottom of the page *Daily rates do not include taxes and service fees.

I realise there is no resort fees.

Can anyone who has stayed here before please let me know if they have been charged extra upon checking in?

I'm looking at a King Partial Ocean View room, checking in 18 September, checking out 26 September.

Mahalo!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,680 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

It will be added to your bill on a daily basis, and you will pay it at checkout along with the daily room charge.

Aloha

Perth
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Ah, thankyou placebets. Daily room charge? I've not seen that mentioned anywhere, what is that please?

Also, is there much difference between a Double POV and a Double Ocean View? Is it worth an extra $160 for 8 nights?

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,680 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

BKC778 - I see you are probably booking some sort of a package deal ? The daily room charge I am referring to is the room rate for each day. If you have a package of some sort, then I don't know how they might do it, but the taxes will probably apply to the room charges. I'm not sure exactly how they determine that on Expedia.

Holiday Inn is not right on the beach. POV is "partial ocean view" which sometimes means that if you go out on your lanai and stand on your toes you might be able to see some water. Ocean View means you should have a better view of some water than a POV. You will probably not be able to see the beach in either room. I have stayed at that hotel and we had a view of the water between two other hotels from our lanai.

Although it's not a great deal of money, I don't think I would pay the extra $160 a night for the Ocean View.

Have you researched directly with the hotel? Or looked at other options for hotels. You might be able to book a better room or better view by booking directly. What would be your daily hotel budget and people can give you some possible alternative suggestions. There are only a few hotels directly on the beach in Honolulu. You are in what I think is probably one of the best options across the street.

Aloha

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,181 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

I just went to Expedia.

There is a note saying it does not include taxes.

Click on the hotel you want, & click on "Book", it will add the taxes in the Trip Summary.

You don't have to actually "Book" the hotel to see what the total cost will be including the taxes.

So you will pay the taxes through Expedia.

Perth
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Placebets - no, no package deal. Just comparing prices between booking with HI site directly and Expedia. I'm happy to book with HI. We stayed at HHV in Ali'i Tower on our last visit 8 years ago and want to be in the action this time. Sorry, the $160 is extra over the entire stay, so an extra $20 per night for ocean view. Worth it?

Dusty - thankyou, I will do a dummy booking now.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,680 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Yes, sorry. I understand the $160 is for 8 nights so $20 a night. I would not book it at that hotel if it was me. You are just not going to get a great beach view from there no matter what you book.

What I might do, is ask about options and upgrades once you arrive. Then go look at the specific rooms they will give you and make a decision on whether or not to upgrade.

Perth
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Can you do that? So, book a basic room online and then ask to inspect rooms once I ask about upgrades? I've never done that in Australia!

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,680 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Yes, I've don't that many times. In fact, I usually ask if there are several rooms available in my category to go look at each room and decide which one I want. It's pretty amazing sometimes the differences in the rooms or views of two rooms in the same category.

If they don't let you, then they don't let you. But most hotels I have ever asked has let me do that. I think it is reasonable to get to look and see if you think they money they want for an upgrade is really worth it or not.

Good luck and Aloha

Perth
Level Contributor
133 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

Thankyou so much placebets, fantastic advice. Aloha!

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holiday Inn - Taxes and Service Fees?

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last December and booked through Expedia. We didn't have to pay anything to the Holiday Inn, however they took a credit card copy just for accidents etc but weren't charged.

We actually paid the extra for the partial ocean view room, it wasn't worth it which was a let down. I had read the reviews (expedia and on here) and it was indicated that the room would be on a lower level of the hotel which is why we thought lets pay the extra to get a view/be a bit higher. I guess we thought having paid a bit extra we would have a decent view but that wasn't the case.

The view on the balcony was basically leaning on the rail and peering through buildings to get a glimpse of the water, so not worth it! However the location is great and we are tossing up whether to book the holiday inn again for our honeymoon.

Anyway hope that helps!