We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week itinerary

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
2 week itinerary

firstly sorry for capital letters I have copied and pasted from my other document..

Here is a rough itinerary of what we think we would like to do, any tips or advice appreciated.

DAY 0 – FLYING

1. ARRIVE IN HONOLULU, GO TO HOTEL AND RELAX

2. HONOLULU ZOO

3. VISIT PEARL HARBOUR

4. WAIKIKI AQURIUM

5. BEACH DAY ( EXPLORE AND SWIM AT DIFFERENT BEACHS)

6. VISIT THE MARKETS

7. KUHIO BEACH TORCH LIGHTING AND HULA CEREMONY

8. SNORKELING AND PARASAILING

9. SPITTING CAVE OF PORTLOCK and LAZY AFTERNOON

10. ALOHA LIVE SHOW

11. VISIT DOWNTOWN HONOLULU

12. PADDLE BOARDING

13. DAY CRUISE

14. VISIT MALL

15. FLY HOME

Do you think this will be okay? I never realized how huge Hawaii really is so have based our 2 weeks on 1 location to try and make the most of the time we have.

I also have a few questions.

1- what are the best markets to visit, for food and for crafts and what days are they on ?

2- what is the best mall in the Honolulu area to visit, and how big is it? will 1 day be enough to explore and shop?

3- best time of year to see whales and dolphins (for our cruise)

4- is there anything significant that we should see/visit that I haven't got listed?

5- are all of these places easy to get to via public transport ? We are able to hire a car but would prefer not to as only 1 of us drives and I don't want my partner to miss out on seeing the scenery and sights if he is stuck behind the wheel the whole time.

6- We enjoy seeing wildlife, what are some good places to see the wildlife in this area?

thank you for your time

note: we have not booked flights and have no set dates, so it is easy to move things around at this point in time

-JESS

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week itinerary

How many are going and ages?

I suggest that you will need to rent a car for one or two days. Public transportation is good on Oahu, but can be slow.

Do you know where you will be staying, or have an idea of the area you want to stay in. On the beach or not important?

You have listed something for every day, and some of those activities are only an hour or two. What is your plan for the remainder of those days? You could probably combine 2 or 3 of those activities for one day, and free up a beach day or something else.

You don't have Diamond Head climb which is a favorite for many people.

Spitting Cave and Aloha Live Show are not highly recommended things by most people on this forum.

Suggest a car and do a circle island tour for at least one day. See the top right of this page for suggestions for Driving Tours of Oahu to get an idea of the scenic places on those drives.

What do you mean by a "day cruise?"

Ala Moana Mall is probably the biggest mall and popular with that crowd. Personally, you could not pay me to go to a mall in Hawaii, but we have access to many where we live so it's just not worth it to us. Lots and lots of shopping available in the Waikiki area. Why spend a day inside a shopping center in beautiful Hawaii?

Wildlife is not a huge attraction for Oahu in my opinion. Mostly wild chickens, birds, geckos, and the occasional mongoose is about it.

Hope this is a little help. Ask if you have more questions.

Aloha

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
842 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week itinerary

Of course me telling you this will ensure that you go, but spitting cave and china wall is not for tourists. People die there all the time, and the majority of the time they are tourists.

Idaho
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 week itinerary

North Shore? You should plan one day for this adventure!

You should do the circle drives and be sure to go to Pali Lookout, Tantalus Drive, Cemetery of the Pacific for some great views.

We also like to visit Byodo Temple.

If you have 2 weeks that should be plenty of time to get a lot of activities done.

I would recommend renting a car some of that time.

You could spend half of your time in Waikiki and half on the North Shore since you will be there 2 weeks.

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
61 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 week itinerary

I'll echo what placebets said: You're overestimating how long some of these activities will take. By comfortably doubling (and tripling) up on some of your interests (for example, 3, 4 and 7 can easily be done in a single day), you'll free up time for some of the other suggestions/must-sees, like a circle drive, North Shore, Diamond Head, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, etc.

I'll also second tads recommendation to split your visit between Honolulu and North Shore.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 week itinerary

Where are you staying? Who is "we?" Spouse? Kids? Friends?

You need to pay more attention to the time needed for each place. Not all are the same.

HONOLULU ZOO - 3 hours max

PEARL HARBOUR - you could easily spend all day there, and reservations are recommended for the Arizona Memorial. How do you plan to get there? There are several very current threads about Pearl Harbor you will find easily if you scroll down the Oahu Forum. Excellent information. http://www.nps.gov/valr/index.htm

WAIKIKI AQUARIUM - If you are trying to keep little kids entertained, OK. Otherwise I would opt out unless in that area and want to pop in.

BEACH DAY ( EXPLORE AND SWIM AT DIFFERENT BEACHS) - What beaches? Will you have a car? You will need to research a bit and choose.

VISIT THE MARKETS - these are on different days of the week, different parts of the Island. Pick up a copy of the StarAdvertiser (Honolulu newspaper) daily for events. The Friday edition is especially helpful in planning. May want to pull them up online as well.

KUHIO BEACH TORCH LIGHTING AND HULA CEREMONY - easy enough to catch some night.

SNORKELING, PARASAILING, PADDLEBOARDING

SPITTING CAVE OF PORTLOCK - not a priority ... and you have much better options.

ALOHA LIVE SHOW - skip it.

VISIT DOWNTOWN HONOLULU - and do what? Iolani Palace is a good choice. Is that your focus?

DAY CRUISE -- ?? A catamaran sail with snorkel? A catamaran off Waikiki?

VISIT MALL - you will find shopping all over Waikiki, but you will LOVE the Ala Moana (shopping) Center. You can do this in the evenings and include dinner if you like. You may want to go a couple times ...

Maui is the best Island by far for whale-watching, and the height of the season is January through March. Dolphins hang out year round.

<<is there anything significant that we should see/visit that I haven't got listed?>> Heavens yes! Kualoa Ranch, the North Shore/Haleiwa, Bishop Museum (new Polynesian Hall opening in September!), Polynesian Cultural Center, Iolani Palace ... beaches, beaches, botantical gardens! Much more.

Rent a car. Taking the bus around will chew up an enormous amount of time and energy. Sure - it's great to hop to the Mall ... but since you have made a wise choice in giving yourself time on this beautiful Island - get out and see it! I would rent a car for at least a week of your stay and give yourself some flexibility and room for spontaneity.

You will need to reserve your car in advance, and pick it up at the airport or more locally on Waikiki. We can help you with the logistics.

I don't know where you picked up the pieces of your list, but to get a good map of Oahu pronto and a good travel guidebook or two. You need a much better overview of the Island ... I can tell by your comments, questions and choices thus far.

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
17,045 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 week itinerary

Lots of people split their trip between Waikiki and the North Shore. If you absolutely are against renting a car, you should consider it, too. The North Shore is lovely, but a lengthy bus trip, so it's unlikely you will go more than once. It would be a shame. There are many overlooks and pull outs for cars; your driving partner won't really miss too much. I love stopping often to give my driver a break and an opportunity to see the sights.

I suggest you get Oahu Revealed. It has terrific maps so you can organize your activities by area and not need to skip around the island. You should also read everything on the right side of this page. Some of your questions, like what to do downtown Honolulu, have been answered so many times that there is a tab on the right for answers. Be sure to read "Shopping for Aussies" if you want to know about shopping!

When we visit Hawaii, the wildlife we expect to see is underwater. Do that by snorkeling or walking beaches (to see turtles, perhaps the elusive monk seal). Other than birds and lizards, we rarely see wildlife in the forests, but did see a hunter with a boar on Maui! If you want wildlife, you will need to snorkel or hike (and you won't be able to hike in a crowd; another reason for a rental car), but don't be surprised if all you see is gorgeous ginger plants and towering jungle plants; very cool. Consider one of Oahu's beautiful botanical gardens, too.

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 week itinerary

Wow thanks every one this informations has been very helpful.

After reading this we will certainly be hiring a car !

We are a couple 22 and 23, and will only be traveling overseas for our first time next month (we are going to samoa) So we are very unexperienced travelers and new to organizing holidays as you can tell :)

I understand Alot of these things only take up a few hours, I was just splitting up a few of the things we know we want to do over the 14 days.

I think I will go away and do some better research and come back to you with my itinerary thank you for your time and advice.

And letting me know what things NOT to bother doing.

Note's :

Cruise - Un decided what type, we were looking at doing either the day picnic cruise or a catamaran cruise

Shopping - Where we live they clothing shops and malls are rubbish, so we (mostly me) wanted to go shopping and I heard the malls were huge.

Driving- will be hiring a car now

Aquarium and zoo's - are there any on the Hawaiian islands worth going to if your not taking children ?

Found my info on a travelers blog, obviously it wasn't worth reading so ill jump back online and do more research. thank you

Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 week itinerary

We also do not know where we will stay yet, we were going to organise that based on the Itinerary, suggestions are welcome, but we don't want anywhere to over priced and fancy as we only plan to be sleeping there. thank you

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 week itinerary

Great start, now just get your thoughts organized and you will end up with a trip you will remember for the rest of your life.

The huge majority of hotels on Oahu are in the Waikiki area and that is probably the best place for you to look for lodging. There are only about 7 hotels that are located directly on Waikiki Beach, and honestly if you stay at one of those, they become much more than a place to sleep. Some are quite expensive and some offer so reasonable prices. So, you should arrive at a budget you are wanting to spend for lodging and you will get some suggestions.

The further you are away from the beach, the less expensive the rooms will be, but also the further away from what a lot of Waikiki is about.

So come back when you are ready with any questions. I still suggest you read the topics on the right side of this page. You will learn a lot about what you want to know much quicker if you go there.

Lots of people here will be glad to help you with ideas, and the planning is a lot of the fun.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2 week itinerary

I would not assume that the Zoo is just for kids. You'd have a great time. I love the Honolulu Zoo ... and it's a bit of a botanical garden, too. It's on the Diamond Head end of Waikiki. The Aquarium is small ... and if you have access to aquariums at home, I would give this one a pass. But if you are in the area and have the time, sure - stop in!

When you are ready to set your dates, get back to us with your nightly accomodations budget and we can help.