We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
J P
2 posts
Save Topic
Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Do not book this flight until Qantas change the aircraft - particulalrly business class. Very very old plane. Uncomfortable. Quite frankly this is embarrassing for Qantas.

Business class on this flight is not even premium on other airlines.

Dont get me wrong, i'm a Qantas lover (gold level) - but they have let themselves down with this one.

I wouldnt believe it if i didnt experience it first hand.

53 replies to this topic
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Super bummer .... we was looking at that flight for next fall.... maybe in a year it will be a new plane.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
54 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Dont hold your breath. My best friend had the 'pleasure' of flying Qantas each year to Hawaii for the past few years. They were trying to get rid of their Qantas points. She said they watched Shrek 3 times on the way over - on those old fashioned Tvs attached to the bulk heads. And on the way back- you guessed it...two months later....... Shrek again!!!! On one flight they even ran out of water and drinks- someone apparently forgot to load the carts on. Not even an apology.

Personally i found their sour attitudes, crankiness and incompetence enough to turn me off for life. Not sure how anyone could be a Qantas lover.

Perth
Level Contributor
127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Oh no, I'm flying Qantas to HNL in September, what is the seat configuration like? Will stock up on a good feed in the Qantas Club before I board by the sounds of it.

Flying Jetstar home though...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Another Oh No - I'm also flying Qantas Sydney to Honolulu next month and now not looking forward to it at all, will also stock up on bottled water before boarding

Sydney
Level Contributor
99 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Yes, ironically you get a much better experience flying Jetstar. Which is supposed to be the low-cost carrier arm of the Qantas Group!

And I reckon Jetstar will become even more attractive on this route once they start using the 787 early next year.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

You will have to excuse my aviation nerdyness about to appear. Some might find this interesting, though. :)

One note - they are sometimes (occasionally) using an a330 on this route, during school holidays for example. You really won't know until you get to the gate what plane you will be on.

All aircraft have a unique combination of letters (in Australia eg VH-OGS) and sometimes letters and numbers (elsewhere in the world) which identifies the aircraft. This is known as the Aircraft Registration. It is sort of like the numberplate on your car. The last two letters of this registration appear in various locations on the aircraft and when you arrive at the gate this might be the easiest way to work out what plane config you will be flying on because it is likely you will be able to spot these two letters on the front landing gear covers, or on the tail.

airliners.net/photo/…L

Each Qantas aircraft also has a unique name which are *mostly city or suburbs in Australia. EG Tamworth, Port Macquarie.. Some of the 767s have the aircraft name on the left side, and some on the right, but it will be up the front in front of where the finger everyone walks down to get onto the plane is, so you might be able to spot the name as well, depending on the gate and your view. EG like this -

airliners.net/photo/… <-- VH-OGH City of Parramatta (22 years old now!) - once you know what the name or rego is, you can look at sites like this to find out more info on the plane -

http://www.qflyer.info/qantas.html

http://www.planespotters.net/Airline/Qantas

And then Seatguru to work out the seating config - it will either be 204, 214, 224 or 221 (there is only one 221, VH-OGV Swan Hill)

A couple of useful threads to read about the webs re Qantas to Honolulu if you are looking for more info -

australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/ope…

australianaviation.com.au/2013/…

ausbt.com.au/qa/do-you-think-that-qantas-wil…

Also something from Qantas themselves - they have been refurbishing these older 767s - and they do have 767s that date back to 1988 (VH-OGB - Kalgoorlie) though some of the earliest ones are now leased out and flying cargo.

qantas.com.au/agents_us/dyn/usqf/news/201302…

And more re 767s in the fleet -

…crikey.com.au/planetalking/…

Qantas did lease (and then purchase) several 767s from BA in the 2000s which you can recognise by the regos - these all begin with a ZX eg VH-ZXA. These are all config as 214.

There are 4 configs of the 767 on Seatguru - I think the one they use to HNL is this one (204) - as people keep talking about the 1-2-2 seat config.

seatguru.com/airlines/Qantas_Airways/Qantas_…

qantas.com.au/travel/…en

Also be aware, the aircraft used can always change on the day as operational requirements may change - the scheduled aircraft may go u/s (a technical term meaning unserviceable, lol) and you could end up with any of the 767s operated by Qantas, or you could end up with an a330, or if something really went awry, and this would be incredibly rare, and if it did happen you ought to thank your lucky stars *and* buy several lottery tickets - plus call me when you get to the gate so I can rush to the airport and get on as well, a 747.

http://www.theqantassource.com

The above website is a fairly useful source of info on all things Qantas though it might not make a huge amount of sense to non plane spotters and aviation types :)

*With the exception of the a380 aircraft which are all named after notable Australian aviation people eg Nancy Bird Walton, Reginald Ansett.

Yes this post is now over, you can officially wake up again, lol :)

Edited: 10 July 2013, 05:01
Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,589 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Wow! Beedoo, are you Dick Smith's niece?

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

No, just your regular plane geek :)

adelaide
Level Contributor
55 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

totally agree - avoid Qantas. We flew July 2012, paid extra $$ for what I assumed would be a better service and it was terrible. I dont care much for a food service, but to not have video on demand individual in-seat-screens in this day and age...is just a joke. Very old planes, and very poor customer service. Save your money and fly Hawaiin Air.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad

Do the QANTAS 767's that are flying between Sydney and Honolulu have individual iPads yet, does anyone know?

Reply to: Qantas Sydney to Hawaii Very Bad
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted