We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do in Oahu

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Things to do in Oahu

Hi Guys,

So I am heading to Oahu in a few months - 2 to be exact!!

I really want to find out what I can do while I am there. I'll visit Pearl Harbour, Honolulu Zoo, The Markets, Sealife Park Hawaii and Hawaii's Royal Palace.

But I really want to see and experience things that the locals would do. I want to experience nature (without sounding corny).

I will be there for 9 days and haven't yet decided if I will hire a car.

It's my first international destination - I want to make it memorable.

Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,339 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do in Oahu

Always count your nights, not your days.

I would pass on Sea Life Park. Smallish, expensive. We were not at all impressed, but we have Sea World and such here in California. So I guess I am saying that if all this is brand new to you, fine. If you have similar water parks/aquariums and such at home - I would skip this. Not a good value. Lovely area, though.

The name of Hawaii's royal palace is Iolani Palace. I highly recommend the guided tour, and you will need a reservation for it.

Kualoa Ranch. Polynesian Cultural Center. Waimea Valley. Bishop Museum. I would definitely get the car for 3 days at least to explore the North Shore and the east side of the Island as well. Even within Honolulu, some sites are simply easier to access by car ... and you will want the lovely Tantalus drive and the Pali drive.

I urge you to pick up a travel guide for Oahu, and a good map of the Island as well ... as soon as you can. This will help you a great deal with your planning. Also, we have had several Pearl Harbor threads on the Oahu Forum for the past couple weeks. Sometimes three a day! So - there is quite a bit of great information available to you right here.

(The Bishop Museum website is down.)

FYI - you will want to reserve your car in advance. Hawaii can, and does, run out of rental cars.

Edited: 10 July 2013, 04:34
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,860 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do in Oahu

Is "I" just you?

If so, use public transportation to see most of the attractions.

You might want to rent a car for a day or two.

Read the Top Questions on the right.

Go to the Oahu forum.

Use the search on the Oahu forum: trip report

Read 15-20 trip reports. They will give you a better idea of what others see & do.

Use the search on the Oahu forum: solo

You'll get a lot of forum threads.

The reason to go to the Oahu forum for the searches is that the results will include the Oahu forum and all of the Oahu sub-forums like the Honolulu forum.

If you do the searches on the Honolulu forum, the results will only include those threads.

3. Re: Things to do in Oahu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:18
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor