We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii cruise

Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Hawaii cruise

Has anyone recently booked Pride of America cruise with DirectLineCruises.com? Any advice appreciated! Thanks

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii cruise

We get questions about cruising Hawaii from time to time ... and most of us will recommend that you don't do it. You'll spend way too much time on the ship, and you will be subject to their schedule - not yours. Institutional food. Lots of waiting in line. A hit-and-run approach to Hawaii is not a good fit. I could go on and on. And it's expensive.

If I had to take the NCL cruise I would book directly with them on no one else. There is no reason to use a middle-man.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii cruise

For cruise advice I would recommend Cruise Critic.

A couple of cruisers there who wrote amazing NCL POA trip reports -

kwbound - boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

SunnyinAZgirl - boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php…

If you want to do it, I think you have to plan it to the moment with military precision, which is one of the reasons it is not great for Hawaii. Part of visiting Hawaii is getting on Hawaiian Time. But, people have done it and enjoyed it and different strokes for different folks. :)

Perth
Level Contributor
22 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii cruise

The reason I ask is that Direct Line is about $1000 cheaper than booking direct with NCL, sounds too good to be true to me! I just wanted to see if anyone had used them and what their experience was like! But thanks for your opinion!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii cruise

Karen, make sure that both DirectLine and NCL are talking about exactly the same thing ... that the room catagory is the same and that any taxes and fees are included. And realize whether you are being quoted a per person charge - or not. And are you both talking in the same currency? Just be careful.

I avoid dealing with middle-men, wholesalers, etc. whenever I can. There is less chance of a screw-up when you deal directly with the cruiselines, and it is wise that your business relationship is with them - instead of a vendor. I am also seeing that the difference between the prices quoted by the cruiselines and those quoted by wholesalers/vendors are not much different anymore. I am speaking generally.

Cruise Critic is not as easy to use as TripAdvisor - and many, many of the regular posters on the Hawaii Forums have cruised extensively and know your options. And we know Hawaii! So feel free to post your cruise questions here. We get them all the time.

LA
Level Contributor
10,063 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii cruise

Sounds too good to be true.

Buyer beware

If you are given a terrible room or there are many additional expenses, you will have no standing with NCL to get anything changed, as you did not book through them.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 17:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii cruise

I booked one week of our two week vacation on Pride of America through Avoya Travel and saved money rather than booking directly with NCL.

We wanted (and paid for) a guaranteed balcony stateroom (but did not select/pay for a specific cabin number)....we were assigned a room on the 8th deck port side with a balcony .... We leave for the cruise next Friday....I can let you know how it goes. Ideally we would have preferred a room mid-ship (our room is towards the front) but we will be spending most of our time on the islands, we still do have a balcony, and we did save $ from what NCL had quoted.

This is our first trip to Hawaii and we wanted a little taste of each island. We choose the cruise option because of its itinerary (2 full days on each island) and are treating it as a floating hotel.

We will be spending an extra week in Waikiki but also renting a car to explore Oahu.

I will post our experience upon my return. :)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,546 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii cruise

You don't get two full days on each (major) Island with an NCL cruise. You don't get Oahu at all. And some of the days on the other Islands are pretty short. And keep in mind that they want you on the ship an hour before the published sailing time.

While you are on your "floating hotel," you could be walking on the beach in the moonlight.

That being said, I hope it works out for you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,073 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii cruise

BLBL I realize that Oahu is not part of the cruise's itinerary, that is why we are staying an extra week on Oahu to experience the moonlit walks on the beach, among other things.

Trust me, I have no misconceptions about the time restrictions on cruises; we really just wanted to get a glimpse (and I know ideally it would be great to be able to stay more days on each of the other islands) but for our first trip I am sure we will enjoy whatever we experience. I am also confident that this will not be our last trip to Hawaii.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii cruise

I have booked with cruise direct and found them to be very good, I had concerns, e-mailed them and they answer it straight away. Only concern is you pay in US so watch exchange rate.

I would book with them again.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii cruise

Hi Myself and my husband did the the Pride of America cruise last year and loved it. Our first cruise in 20 years and was far better than expected. The time in each port was varied but enough to get a taste of each island. I booked through Cruise Compete from Australia and got a bargain,. Very cheap for 7 nights accommodation and food, balcony and whales sightings every day! Far cheaper than airfares and hotel accommodation for 7 nights and food included, which was was aso better than expected. A week in Waikiki afterwards was a great mix. Lisa