We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Next September we are hopefully spending a week at Disney's Aulani. Would you recommend we stay a couple of nights at the Hilton Hawaiin Village at beginning or end of trip for ease of getting to restaurants and for sightseeing?

Thank you!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Do you have kids? What are their ages?

We have had two trips to Aulani, once last year and once this year - kids aged (now) 3, 6 and 7. Both times we did a stint at Aulani (4nights the first time, then 7 this year) then back to Trump (3 nights last year, 7 nights this year). Our thinking both times was the Aulani part was solely for the kids with the Waikiki portion for the adults - i.e. visiting all our favourite haunts and showing the kids our favourite places.

Luckily for us the kids adore Waikiki as much as Aulani so are more then happy to split the visit. We make sure we have a Friday night in Waikiki so they see the fireworks, we go to the beach everyday and visit the zoo and aquarium each time.

Aulani is great but you are limited by restaurant choice within walking distance (driving will open up more choices but then you can't enjoy a relaxing beverage!). Rooms are gorgeous, staff superb and amenities great.

In my mind splitting is the best for both ages but I wouldn't do it for any less then 4 nights each place - not worth the hassle!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1,568 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Forgot to add - sightseeing isn't that much more difficult from Aulani depending on what you are visiting. Pearl Harbour is just as easy to get to, the North Shore is heaps quicker from Ko Olina as are the factory outlets at Waikele.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,524 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Is this your first time on Oahu? If you are looking at 9 days (8 nights) total how many days do you plan on staying at the resort all day vs sightseeing? I assume you will have a car the whole time?

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,782 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

I'd prefer to split a trip on Oahu between Waikiki and Turtle Bay on the north shore.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Who is "we?" If I were going to change accomodations, I would try for a little contrast. Aulani and the Hilton Hawaiian Village ... too much alike.

new jersey
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

I would do the tail end of the trip...

You are adjusted to "island time" and can better enjoy the hustle and bustle of Waikiki after your nice relaxing stay in Ko'Olina :)

I hope you have the opportunity to rent a car to explore the North Shore and the beauty of the island!

Aloha and happy planning!

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Sorry, yes we will have a car the whole times. We are all adults, dd's will be 21 and 25 then. But, love Disney and we are dvc members so wanted to try aulani. Have done pearl harbor before. We would like to use points so is there a Hilton, Marriott or hyatt you would recommend versus hhv?

Thank you

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

You do know that Aulani is out in the boonies, right? No much there ... very small resort by Disney standards ... and not very Disney-esque. Few restaurant options, no shopping, etc. Use your time in Ko'Olina to get up and out every morning and see the north and east shores. www.koolina.com/explore/interactive-map

Given your brood, I'd use the points for the Embassy Suites. Second choice: the Hyatt. Both have excellent locations and large rooms. The Marriott on Kalakaua is OK if you get a room in front tower only. The HHV is not a good location and you will find the same kid-oriented resort feel as Aulani.

Texas
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

Done embassy suites. Was just ok! Is there just one hyatt? I'll look at that.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
27,076 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aulani/Hilton Hawaain Village

I also question Aulani without little kids. It is not THAT Disney. You have the gift shop, Aunties breakfast, architectural features that look like a cross between Animal Kingdom Lodge and Big Thunder Mountain, but other than that I think your age young adults would much prefer to be on Waikiki unless you WANT to stay in the boonies surrounded by screaming kids.