We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days itinerary

Vancouver, British...
13 posts
Save Topic
5 days itinerary

Hey there heading to honolulu on sat, cant wait! Here's my itinerary atm, could use some suggestions!

day 1: arrive at around 12pm, beach, sunset catamaran

day 2: north shore tour by The Surf Bus

day 3: Hanaumo Bay Snorkelling

day 4: Diamond Head

day 5: ala moana mall, Stay in Waikiki to explore, flight at 10pm

For the extra time for each day will be spent just exploring and lounging Waikiki and the beach nearby as well. As we don't plan to rent a car we relied on a tour to explore oahu outside of honolulu. Do you guys think the schedule is already tight and we should drop one of the activities?

Vancouver, British...
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 days itinerary

In addition, since most of the acitvities I have planned out are during the day, dinner time / night time will be spent all in waikiki. I was just wondering how late do shops open around? Is it basically dead after 12?

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 days itinerary

I think it sounds very nice for a quick trip! The only "main" thing I see missing is any of Pearl Harbor, but not everyone wants to do that and it's fine. It's definitely not too tight as you have it now, and in your extra time you might want to catch one of the free Hula shows. Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, Kuhio Beach Park, or International Marketplace all have them throughout the week.

I definitely don't think shops are open past 12:00...maybe until 10:00? But I never really felt the need to be out shopping that late, so couldn't tell you for sure. There are lots of bars open late if that's what you're looking for, Rumfire, Moose McGillicuddy's, Kelly O'Neils, etc. so it won't be dead after 12:00.

Alhambra, California
Level Contributor
1,442 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 days itinerary

Is this your first trip to Oahu? No Luau? We've been there approx 7 times and a luau is a must for us.

Why not rent a car for the day?

Omaha, Nebraska...
Level Contributor
241 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 days itinerary

I think this sounds great! If you don't want to do the tour and/or the price is comparable I would rent a car for your North Shore day. It's a nice drive with lots of places to stop! I'd just hate to tour the north shore on someone else's time frame (personal preference - that may not bother you!). If you haven't seen Pearl Harbor it is a very moving/humbling tour.

I'm not big on luaus so I'd skip that. I've been to Germaine's. It was okay, but a lot of money for food that was just ok and pretty pricey drinks. I wasn't ever bored, just could have spent my money elsewhere. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,054 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 days itinerary

Looks fine to me. I too would suggest renting a car for the day instead of a tour, but if you can't, you can't. Much better snorkeling this time of year on the north shore than Hanauma Bay and it's free!! Like the others have said, no Pearl Harbor?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,111 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 days itinerary

It's OK .... there is SO much left out, though. But it's such a short trip.

Vancouver, British...
13 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 days itinerary

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll think about the pearl harbour suggestions. I was wondering if I rent a car for the day I go to pearl harbour, is there lots of sights to see in that general driving area? For exploring north shore i'm pretty set on the tour as I like having someone explain the sights and also there seems to be lots of liesure time allocated from the tour anyways.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,335 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 days itinerary

I also think you should rent a car for a day.

Most tour buses got right past beaches and other sights without stopping.

Read the Top Question on the right, Driving Tours on Oahu.

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,934 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 days itinerary

I agree that you should rent a car for a day, but I would not rent it to let it sit in the Pearl Harbor parking lot. Bus is cheap, easy and reliable to go to PH.

I would make full use of the car and take a circle island drive with it, and see as much of the beautiful island of Oahu as you possibly can. Look at the Driving Tours of Oahu at the top right of this page to get some good ideas of where to go, routes to take and things to see.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Vancouver, British...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 days itinerary

Thank you, I will take the bus instead if I go to pearl harbor. Does anyone know if it's still worth going if the USS memorial tour is sold out though? Found out all the tickets are sold out way way way in advance. Take into account I will be bussing there..