We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended driving route.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended driving route.

We will be arriving in Honolulu from the BI, picking up a hire car and heading to Turtle Bay resort for three nights before returning to Waikiki. We will return the hire car before going to our accommodation (Outrigger Waikiki on the Beach). Or maybe we could drop off our luggage at the Outrigger before returning the car.

I would like recommendations on which roads/routes to travel on both to and from the North Shore. We intend to make a quick stop at Pearl Ridge Shopping Centre on our way to the North Shore. We will arrive in Honolulu at 12:44pm and collect luggage and car before beginning our drive.

Thanks for your assistance.

Di

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,633 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended driving route.

Quickest & easiest route is H-1 West to H-2.

H-2 North to (99) (H-2 ends and becomes 99) to Haleiwa.

hawaiidriveguides.com/OahuDriveGuide/I-3_I-4…

At the top, click on: Zoom In

Then click & drag the map.

Why a stop at Pearl Ridge? You would have to get off H-1 at the Aiea exit, drive through much of Aiea and get back on H-1. And I think by the time you would be finished at Pearlridge, rush hour would start.

Mililani Town Center would be much easier. So unless you want to go to a particular store at Pearl Ridge, go to Mililani Town Center instead.

In Mililani Town Center, there is a WalMart, a Times Supermarket, a Longs and several other stores.

towncenterofmililani.com/business-directory/

There is a Foodland in Pupukea on the North Shore.

You can easily go to Ala Moana Center when you are in Waikiki.

Going from Turtle Bay to Waikiki, the easiest is going clockwise around the island to Kaneohe and taking Likelike Highway to Honolulu and H-1 East.

You could take Pali Highway from Kaneohe if you want to stop at Pali Lookout. But luggage in the car concerns.

But I suggest you take Driving tour #2 (Top Question Driving Tours) on one of your Turtle Bay days. You can stop at Pali Lookout then.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended driving route.

Dimarie - you might check what the drop off charge would be to just leave your car in Waikiki when you move to the Outrigger. It might be cheaper than taking it back to the airport and then hiring a cab to take you back to Waikiki, and a lot faster.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended driving route.

Thanks Dusty. I will study up.

Placebets, I did look at that but it was close to $80 difference in price and I know we can cab it back for around $40 so it is the cheaper option.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
26,633 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended driving route.

Or you can take the bus back to Waikiki for $2.50 each.

And if you drop off the luggage at Outrigger Waikiki, one can stay there.

It only takes one to drop off the car at the airport location.

Take the bus back for $2.50.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended driving route.

That's a great idea Dusty. It will be hubby doing the drop off. I am not confident driving on the opposite side of the road but he has done it many times.

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended driving route.

Wow ! I had no idea they would charge an $80 drop off fee. The bus would be no problem if you drop of the luggage first as Dusty suggests.

And, I hope you enjoy the Outrigger Waikiki as much as we do.

Have a great trip.

Aloha

Townsville...
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended driving route.

Thanks Placebets. We stayed there last December and loved the location. We have an oceanfront room booked. Can't wait.

8. Re: Recommended driving route.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 August 2014, 05:17