We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First timers

We are going to be in Waikiki for 13 days in November. We already have a lot of places in mind but we were wondering which luau would be the best . We are staying at Aston Waikiki circle so hopefully all is ok

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,052 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers

Luaus are not the favorites on Oahu. I guess the Paradise Cove seems to be the most recommended on here, but the Polynesian Cultural Center is a very popular attraction and the show is probably the best there.

The one at the Hale Koa right in Waikiki is somewhat popular too.

How did you pick the Waikiki Circle. It is not my favorite hotel and it has no lobby or guest services really. The rooms are extremely small and not very eye pleasing to me. Most people like it only if they get an ocean FRONT view room and it is really cheap. You can get some great views and if that is all you are after then it will be good.

Would not be my choice in Waikiki by a long shot. What is your budget for rooms and maybe you can get some other suggestions from people here.

Hope you have a great trip no matter where you stay.

Aloha

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,233 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers

You might want to scroll down the Oahu Forum, as we talk about luau all the time. It's up to you. If you go to the Polynesian Cultural Center - they have a luau in their package. Paradise Cove in Ko'olina is popular and has a pick-up on Waikiki. On Waikiki, the Hilton Hawaiian "Village" has a luau on one of their roofs ... popular with conventioners. Hale Koa is popular because of its location. Visitors with military connections has first dibs, but it seems like there is usually room for the general public.

Anyway - there are other luau as well.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers

It would help if you your home state or country to your profile. We often give differing advice depending where they are from.

Polynesian Cultural Center is the best luau venue in Hawaii.

Read the Top Questions on the right side of the page. All of them are good.

Order the free travel planners for Hawaii and each island you are thinking about going to (U.S. and Canada). Anyone can read them online:

http://www.gohawaii.com/visitor-guide

Make reservations in advance for USS Arizona Memorial for $1.50 each (service fee). Read the Top Question, Pearl Harbor Museums.

Go to the Oahu forum. Use the search: trip report

Read about 15-20 trip reports.

Go to the Maui forum. Read the Top Questions there.

Use the search: trip report

Read 15-20 trip reports.

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers

Hey I'm from Australia and we found the hotel in a travel brochure. If there is somewhere that you would recommend to stay by all means let me know please. We are paying about 150 per night and being on holiday we won't be there much but I would like a bigger room just haven't been able to find one for the price. Thanks for giving me an idea on luaus.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
118 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers

If you go the top green bar and click on "Things to do" and then "Performances" it will list the most of Luaus along with pictures and reviews. That's your best source.

Seattle
Level Contributor
45,226 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers

In the $150/night range my best suggestion for hotels are either: White Sands Hotel on Nohonani or Waikiki Sand Villa back overlooking the canal. Both are very decent places to stay for the price.

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers

Thanks ill check it out

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,523 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers

Aloha,

There are some budget hotel threads here on TA you can run a search to find.

How did the new member registration process go through without a location? That's supposed to be a requirement, but I've noticed a few new members lately without one.

Aloha

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,052 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers

Kim - what is your room category for $150 a night? If it is ocean FRONT, then I might stay with it. If it is partial ocean view, or city view or anything else, then agree with suze. The Circle is right across the street from the beach, and the ones she mentions are a couple of blocks off of the beach.

But, I just have to give you a little bit of a caution on what to expect at the Circle. The rooms don't look anything like the pictures on the website. People like it for minimum room requirement and can have incredible views. If you get the right room !!

Have a great trip. Aloha

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,321 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First timers

Jet, having a location isn't a requirement. All you have to do is leave the box blank when filling out the form.

Once you do put a location in, it won't let you go back and delete it though, I just tried!!

Edited: 06 August 2013, 22:22