We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui day trip

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Maui day trip

We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks. Is it worth doing day trip to Maui. Thinking about going in morning and coming back next morning

Dallas
Level Contributor
22,904 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui day trip

Take the money you will spend on that, and upgrade your hotel. I suggest either going to Maui and staying for at least 3 or 4 days, or just spend your time and money on Oahu. You just can't see much of Maui to make it worthwhile in one day. Rent a car and spend some time exploring all that Oahu has to offer instead of just one day on Maui.

Aloha

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui day trip

Why don't you just split your trip half and half with the 2 islands? I would not go to Maui just for a day...of all its beauties what would you choose to see?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui day trip

What's your big picture? Count your nights. You have 10? 11? more? I assume that you are staying on Oahu for part of the time ... but you say that you are going to Hawaii ... so are you visiting other Islands as well? Why just an overnighter on Maui. You'll see airports and rental car offices ... and not much Island at all.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,068 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui day trip

OK - you are only staying on Oahu (just read your other post). Split your nights between Maui and Oahu ... and go to your luau on Maui. You will need a car on Maui.

Please tell us where you are from. There is no hometown, state or even country on your profile ... and this information helps us a great deal.

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui day trip

We are from Australia and are there for 13 nights. My daughter and her partner are coming too but they are in Waikiki for 10 nights then over to Maui for 5 nights. Just thought it would be nice to spend the day and night with them. But going by what everybody says not worth it just for the day.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,918 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui day trip

Not clear...will their time in Waikiki overlap with yours? So you can see them there? Or will you be totally separate, and the ONLY time you could see them is if you go to Maui for a day?

I've done strange things to see someone or do something special, so that might change my opinion.

But if you are going to see them on Waikiki, no I would still not go over to Maui for a day.

Again, why not split your trip so you can do Maui some justice?

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui day trip

We will see them at Waikiki. They just wanted us to go to Maui for a couple of days but think we might give it a miss unfortunately as we have planned lots of things on Oahu.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui day trip

We did Maui in a day, first flight in and last flight out, we did it ourselves and it can be done. We did however go into the "no-go" area for hire cars and came back along the Road to Hana. It is a pretty full on day but we didnt find any beaches were were inclined to swim at etc. The majority of the resorts appeared to be on man made beaches, much nicer than Ko-Olina. Whilst it really is a beautiful island, as Aussies we enjoy Oahu more because of the shopping and restuarants. Where most residents of the main land don't need to cram those things into their holiday and Maui is probably more suited with alot more down time.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,480 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui day trip

Timothy, just a note---none of Maui's beaches are man made. They are all natural, no sand added except by the ocean (which also takes it away in cycles).

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui day trip

Thanks swmarket, my apologies, I didnt so much mean the sand as the surrounds, wandering the coast line around the resorts etc. It is a very beautiful island, the road to Hana was amazing and I can not wait to go back!