We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Friday!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Black Friday!

Hi everyone my partner and I will be in Hawaii for our honeymoon the end of November. We are due to fly out at 10am on Black Friday morning. I was thinking of extending our stay by 1 night to go to the Black Friday sales. So I have a few questions.

Are they a lot cheaper than regular days?

Are they super super crazy busy?

Is it worth trying to extend our holiday?

Thanks guys!

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Black Friday!

I would totally recommend this, if you can do it. :) I really loved the Black Friday sales.

If you want to buy anything Apple at all, this is the one day of the year that they discount things.

If you do this, make sure to stop by Bath and Body Works (BBW) and pick up the special tote they will likely be selling for $20. I find the bags are excellent and also what is inside is great value. Just make sure, anything you like at BBW, buy it while you are there, you can't easily get that stuff from Australia.

BBW will not accept Aussie credit cards, not even if you are delivering to the US. If you have a friend in the US (I am lucky enough that I do) it is a paypal money to them, have them order what you want, and then once they receive it they ship it on to you.

It can be pretty busy. Some things are a lot cheaper. Some things are the same price. ;)

I have a blog where I have a lot of info about shopping for Aussies, you might be interested in some of the trip reports from fellow Aussies which I link to in the sidebar. ;)

http://beedoo747.wordpress.com

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,979 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Black Friday!

Black Friday is a lot of fun but I don't know that I would extend my visit just for that!! A lot of the stores will start their sales in the middle of the night. Like at midnight on Thursday. If you want any of the really big sales, be prepared to camp in line or follow the thousands of others who will be there also. The parking will be insane.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,056 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Black Friday!

How much will it cost to extend your stay an extra night? Hotel cost? Change fee for airline to change a flight?

Is it worth spending and extra $200-$400 for the extra night depending on your hotel & change fees? You would have to save that much on your shopping on Black Friday just to break even.

Will it cost you another day's vacation from work?

I'm too old to do this, but maybe would have in my younger days. You can get some of the early sales & still make your flight. Can you sleep on a plane?

Many stores open at midnight (WalMart, Target, K-Mart, etc). Some stores start there sales after 6pm on Thanksgiving Day. So you could get some Black Friday shopping in before your flight without adding a day.

We usually post a couple of Black Friday ad sites shortly before Black Friday. But I'm not sure if the generic online ads will show times the stores are open. May vary from state to state or even any local store.

The Honolulu Star Bulletin on Thursday will be a fat one with all (or most) of the local ads. Make sure you buy it (about $2.00). Many hotels include a newspaper.

So with a combination, reading the Black Friday ads online and buying the newspaper, you'll know where the deals are.

And another problem! Many of the Black Friday really special deals usually have a limit. And if you are not there standing in line when the store opens, forget it.

And some of the special deals may be from (example) 6am - 8am only.

I would not add another day unless you can really save a lot more than than it would cost to add another day.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
72 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Black Friday!

Hi Makayla,

My advice to you would be to keep your flight as is. Cancel you accomodation for your last night, get yourself a late checkout on Thanksgiving, & Hire a car to take yourself to the airport. The sales start from late Thanksgiving evening and many major stores will be open from Midnight. They also have door buster sales etc, which basically means an item goes on sale at a set time, be it 9pm, 12am or 3am etc. Alot of the bigger sale items are generally limited stock.

You will also get some good bargins in teh lead up to thanksgiving.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Black Friday!

There is no way I would extend my trip ... and fall captive to the Black Friday hype. Yes, there are good sales on the Friday after Thanksgiving, but there will be sales all week as the retailers all try to get the jump on each other. My favorite shopping day is the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

You may find some sales in the middle of the night on Black Friday if you want to say that you have been there and done that and still catch your plane. The "door-buster" sales on Friday are generally loss-leaders (sp?) where the retailers sell a few things at super cheap prices simply to get people through their doors.

Dusty's point is well taken - regarding the cost of rebooking your flight and the extra nights' accomodations versus what you "might" save.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Black Friday!

Hi everyone thank you so much for your input. Im thinking of leaving my flight for the friday morning, and just hoping to pick up some specials in the days before thanksgiving if that fails we might try and get to the sales before we are due to fly :)

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Black Friday!

Thank you BLBL i might try the tuesday!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,282 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Black Friday!

We went a few years ago (in Portland) and had a blast, also we were finished all our shopping by noon. That was when the stores opened at 5am. Now they do have many sales starting at midnight and i bet you could do a fair bit of damage before 5am.

I like the idea of just shopping all night, then head for the airport in the morning. I personally wouldn't cancel the accommodations. Sleep till late evening, hit the shops, then head back to your room for a refresher before checking out. It's also good if you want to bring shopping stuff back and repack.

Would I do it again? Probably not, but now I am older and have way less $$.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,098 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Black Friday!

How Black Friday will evolve is anyone's guess. The poor employees who have to work the wee hours of the morning and throughout Black Friday are protesting - and rightfully so - about losing their Thanksgiving holiday ... either to go to work or go to bed so they can work. I cannot fathom being a woman with a family who tackles all the work at home that goes into Thanksgiving ... and then goes to her place of employment to face off hordes of bargain hunters.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,056 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Black Friday!

The consensus it to make the best of your original schedule.

But do try to take advantage of the Thursday sales and if you are fit, maybe some of the overnight sales.