We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

football game

Canberra
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
football game

Hi, we will be travelling to Hawaii in Sept/Oct and were hoping to catch a football game while there. The only game that is on while we are there is on the 5th October - we are flying in from Maui to Waikiki that afternoon, arriving at 4.30pm. I know its a long shot but would it be possible to get from the airport (assuming domestic airport will be quicker then when we arrive internationally) to the ilikai then to the alpha stadium for the game which starts at 6?

We won't have a car, only need to dump our bags at the ilikai and don't mind if we miss the start of the game. If this is doable, what is the best way to do it? If not, appreciate the advice.

Thanks.

Canberra
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: football game

*aloha stadium sorry...spell check!

Canberra
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: football game

Bump

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: football game

How are you going to get to the stadium from Waikiki? You won't make it for the beginning, that is for sure. A taxi will cost at least 50.00. You could try to take the bus.

Canberra
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: football game

Thanks, how to get from Waikiki is what I was looking for advice on!

I will research the bus, seems it might be too rushed though and if it means we will miss a fair portion of the game we might be better off giving it a miss this trip.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: football game

Do you plan on renting a car at all? You could rent at the airport and keep it for a couple of days.

Canberra
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: football game

We weren't going to rent a car but could look at it for the first few days and do some exploring around the island then. If we did this I wouldn't want to go straight to the game and leave our bags in the car as I've read that's a bad idea generally, so would we have time to go to Waikiki first?

Thanks for your help.

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: football game

By the time you get your luggage, get a cab & get to Waikiki & drop off your luggage (check in also?) it would be 5:30.

Taking the bus to the stadium would take an hour plus any waiting time. Add another 20 minutes or so to get your tickets to the game & find your seats.

At best, you would get to your seats by 7pm.

You would miss almost the entire first half.

Another suggestion:

Use www.alohaairportdeliveryandstorage.com/ .

They are open until 10pm.

Drop your luggage off with them.

Take a cab from the airport to Aloha Stadium and watch the entire (or almost the entire) game. Most college games last three hours. When I lived in Hawaii, June Jones was coach and UH games lasted longer.

Take a cab back to the airport to pick up your luggage and then to Waikiki in the same cab. You can have a pre-arranged area at the airport to pick up your luggage. Lei stands maybe?

Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: football game

If you rent a car you can go straight to one of the stadium satellite parking areas (the stadium lots will be full). If you leave your luggage in the trunk, and don't open the trunk at the parking lot, it will be reasonably safe.

I am assuming that you are renting a car on Maui, so you'll have some experience driving in Hawaii.

Canberra
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: football game

Thanks, both suggestions look like good options and we will consider which would work better for us. Our other option is changing our flight to come in earlier. Or give the game a miss and find a sports bar to soak up some American sports atmosphere!

Correct, we are in Maui for 7 nights and will have a car for that time.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 02:13
Saint Cloud...
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
27,447 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: football game

"Or give the game a miss and find a sports bar to soak up some American sports atmosphere!"

That is what I would do considering that it will cost a lot of extra time & $$ for you to see a live game.

It would have been easy if the game was a different night while you were already on Oahu.

Another alternative:

While I lived on Oahu, I went to several high school games, including several at Aloha Stadium.

Some of the better high school teams are really fun to watch.

Perhaps you can go to a high school game on Maui while you are there.

Or perhaps a high school game close to Waikiki on October 5th.

Edited: 21 August 2013, 02:36