We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

10 days on Oahu

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
10 days on Oahu

Hi guys

We're a family of 6 (14,11,10,7) heading to Oahu for our first Hawaii trip in January 2014 We were thinking of doing half of our nights in Honolulu and half in the Makaha resort area. Is 4-5 days too long in either place? Our kids love swimming, and we want to spend a good amount of time snorkeling, so we need to be near a sheltered beach so the winter surf isn't a problem. Any advice you could give a first time visitor?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 10 days on Oahu

How many nights do you have in total? If you have 10 or more - you might considering visiting 2 Islands. I know you have a large clan to transport - but the whales on Maui will be putting on a show that your kids will LOVE. And the snorkeling will be much better on Maui as well.

I don't recommend Makaha for first timers ... or maybe not at all. Ko'olina is another choice ... isolated and not much there.

Winter is popular in Hawaii ... so pin down your accomodations now.

Dallas
Level Contributor
23,936 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 10 days on Oahu

What makes you think you might want to stay in the Makaha area? And what is it that you want to do that you can't do from Waikiki area?

It is not typically a highly recommended favorite by most on here. Maybe look at Ko Olina if you just want to get away from Waikiki. Or the Turtle Bay resort on the North side of the island.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 18:00
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
48,590 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 10 days on Oahu

If you want to avoid winter surf, Makaha isn't for you. Not only is it somewhat isolated (not much for the kids to do), the surf can be huge there in January. They surf out there during the winter!! I love visiting the west side but I don't recommend staying out there. This is considered the "poorer" side of the island, and locals, for the most part, would rather visitors stay somewhere else. Makaha isn't a "resort area".

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,593 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 10 days on Oahu

With a crew like that I might do a few nights in Waikiki (3 nights?) and the rest in a house in Kailua. Of course you'd need a car/van the whole time, but you'd have a good protected shore for swimming & snorkeling and you'd save food costs being in a house.

Other than that, I'd say stay in Waikiki the whole 9 nights in a condo and do day trips as needed.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46,674 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 10 days on Oahu

I'd stay in Waikiki the entire time and do day trips around the island. I can easily spend a week there (and have) only just around Waikiki/Honolulu.

suze

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 10 days on Oahu

We found Makaha pretty isolated with nothing to do except go to the beach. No good hotel up there at all. The North Shore has a lot more, great beaches, good restaurants, good shopping and much nicer people. The local population on that Makaha shore is unfriendly and sometimes hostile, so I wouldn't spend all that time there especially with kids. Why not stay in Waikiki and take daytrips to other areas.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 10 days on Oahu

I agree with everyone else, not much to do in Makaha. And for what's it's worth, Waikiki is really expensive, especially for a family. We go every year and stay in Waimanalo, renting a house. The beach is amazing, even in the winter. and is totally swimmable, even for kids. Most houses have snorkels, boogie boards, and everything else you'd need for the beach. There's tons of places to snorkel close to Waimanalo, as well as it being pretty centrally located. Not too far to everything you want to do. Hopefully you find the right fit for your family, and have a great time!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
55,593 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 10 days on Oahu

Waikiki in NOT "very expensive". It can be depending on where you stay, but it is also the least expensive place to stay on the island.

Makaha IS somewhat isolated, which is why many people like it.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 10 days on Oahu

As I stated before, renting a house for a family of 6 is probably the way to go in this instance. You would have to get 2 hotel rooms, or a large suite, and having most of your meals out in Waikiki makes it very expensive for a family of 6. Renting a house, and not renting snorkel equipment, and having meals in saves a lot of money for a family, making Waikiki comparatively, "very expensive."

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,809 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 10 days on Oahu

Do you have your air already -- into HNL?

I think your family would enjoy Maui or Big Island of Hawaii more, especially in January. If you were coming to Oahu in another season, you could split between Waikiki and Turtle Bay on the north shore, but winter means wind and rain to the north, especially on Kauai and Oahu -- and to some extent on Maui.

We fly Chicago-HNL and float through the airport on our way to South Maui every winter. (Same on return.) Condos are great for families. They have everything a hotel has except room service. (There's nothing in the contract saying Mom has to 'cook' anything; some even have maid service as often as you want it.)

You'll want to reserve your rental vehicle and lodging quickly. This is popular time of year to visit Hawaii.