We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

Which Honolulu hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
193 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

Hi all locals or Hawaii experts,

Below is our plan to Hawaii that would like to share with you all. Should we go to Maui on our 4th day visit for 3 nights? Is it enough time for us to spend in Oahu if we fly to Maui? If not, we will stay in Oahu the whole trip.

Please feel free to provide your opinions to our draft below. Thank you so much for your help. :)

Honolulu, Oahu:

1st day - Arrive at noon. Waikiki Beach, beachwalk,

2nd day - macademia nut farm, dole plantation, north shore

3rd day - Diamond head, Paradise Cove, mania falls, hanama bay, sunset

4th day - fly to Maui (40 min flight)

5th day - Haleakala Crater (sunrise & sunset) - haven't decided to drive or hike yet

6th day - Clear water kayaking & snorkeling (check out sea turtle)

7th day - beach then fly back to Oahu

8th day - USS Missouri, museums

9th day - PCC

10th day - Monoa Fall / crater??? Or scuba & snorkling

11th day - Waikiki beach. Fly off at 9pm

Dallas
Level Contributor
21,049 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

Maui is great and there is so much to do there and I would not disagree with going there since you have 11 days.

I do suggest that you travel to Maui the same day that you arrive, spend whatever time you want to on Maui, then go to Oahu for your time there.

With your plan, you are going to spend a lot of time packing, unpacking, going to airports, checking in and out of hotels, etc. I just think you would have a smoother trip by only changing hotels and island one time during your trip.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,377 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

When are you coming? Who is we? Couple or family? a few more details would be helpful. :)

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,352 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

Skip Maui. The brief time you have there is not worth the time you will spend in the airport and the expense. Yes, the flight itself is short, but you still have to be at the gate about 90 minutes ahead. By "clear water kayaking" do you mean non-ocean? I'm not sure there is any on Maui. As far as I know, the only island with navigable rivers is Kaua`i.

Skip the Macnut farm and Dole Plantation except as a potty stop. They're tourist traps. Well, get Dole Whip at Dole. I'm surprised you're not planning to see the Arizona memorial. If you want to snorkel you'll want more time at Hanauma Bay, and there are other options, depending on what time of year you visit.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
193 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

My husband and I will come in Oct. We will be coming from the EST. That's why he requested me to arrange the first few days to be easier - light & relaxing activity since we will be coping with the time zone difference - 9 hours. :)

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

I wouldn't break it up with 3 nights in the middle like that. Do 6 in one and 5 in the other if you really want to see two islands. Also, I'm surprised nobody picked up on it yet, but your Day 3 for Oahu is ridiculously jam packed! No way you can hike Diamond Head and Manoa Falls and snorkel at Hanauma in one day, plus Paradise Cove is an evening luau that you seemingly have in the middle of the day there- it would be at night.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,020 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

Skip Maui--honest. It is a much larger island than Oahu--which you still won't fully explore in 10 days!

Oahu has plenty to offer, and yes-you will be jet lagged. So take your time and enjoy-the things I see noted for Oahu already have you on a "mission", not a "vacation".

(PZP........she mentioned the Missouri for one of the days, I figured that would include the Arizona)

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

You could do two islands in 11 days but I would split it up a little more evenly.

We come from the East Coast it's not the jet lag coming to Hawaii that gets us it is going back that is the killer. We are usually asleep pretty early most nights def by 10pm but we are also up early so we can enjoy the beaches and our lanai.

Skip Dole Plantation just another glorified shopping stop IMO.

When you are talking about Haleakala and say drive or hike I'm not sure what you mean? In my experience you would have to drive up to hike.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
409 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

You could see both islands in that amount of time but you definitely don't want to book it in the middle of your trip like that. Have you purchased your airfare yet? If not, it's much easier to fly into one island and then out the other. That way you don't waste a lot of time and money flying back to Honolulu. If you do decide to do two islands I would break it up more evenly. There's tons to do in Maui and you will regret such a short stay.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

You might consider splitting your time on Oahu between Waikiki and the north shore -- which is completely different. IF you want to spend time on Maui, hop there immediately on arrival in HNL or do Honolulu first and then Maui. We fly home to Chicago from Maui, through-checking our luggage at OGG and just float through HNL without leaving security. Decide which island has greater appeal for you, and divide your time accordingly or just stay on one. You will need a rental car everywhere outside of Honolulu proper. Each hop will run about $100 pp one way and can take up to half a day of your vacation time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
42,155 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Our plan: 11 days in Hawaii, should we go to Maui?

I would skip Maui. That is one VERY hectic itinerary you are proposing. If you really want to do it, at least put Maui either at the beginning or at the very end of the trip, to avoid doing the Honolulu airport two extra times!

suze